Edits for Journal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

affectiveH3art

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently received edits/notes for a paper I submitted to a small journal. I am working on it but it seems that it is developing into a whole other paper (different perspective, stronger defining points, more comprehensive, etc). It was a weak paper to begin with so I was surprised for edits back.

Is it common to feel like a whole new paper? It went from a generic topic to highly specialized and specific. Maybe this is an odd question- but how does the process of applying edits to a paper for a peer review journal look like?

It doesn't help that this was co written but now the other author has abandoned the project- any thoughts on this as well?

Sorry just feeling a little lost and confused about the editing process. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yup, that's quite common for major revisions. Often the revisions make the paper much better, but I had one R&R where I felt that the revisions actually made the paper worse (funnily enough, it was rejected the second time for reasons unrelated to the first round of reviewers' concerns).

Reactions: 1 user
Oh ok. It's such a daunting process! So I guess that's expected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, major revisions are often... major. :( I find it helps to think of it as an opportunity to improve the paper, which I'll be grateful for in the long run. Otherwise, it feels like a lot of really unpleasant hoops to jump through.

Is there anyone else you could seek support from here? Maybe your current supervisor? It's sometimes helpful to get fresh eyes on revisions, especially if you're feeling lost. It might be especially helpful for you to collaborate with someone who has experience revising manuscripts if you've never done this before. The letter to the editor when you resubmit can be particularly tricky.

Yes, I am looking to a supervisor to review edits- it's just the major editing portion that is so time consuming (of course!). I think it is a little more troublesome because the co-author contributed her "specialty" perspective, which is not my strength, now that she is unable to finish the project, I have to edit her portion as well.

So it is more challenging than I anticipated. My dissertation topic has nothing to do with this...I have interest in medical/ health behavior (Digestive disease) and this is on something totally unrelated. But worth the challenge I suppose.

Anyone have feedback on what to do because she abandoned the project?? Do I keep your name on as co-author?

She is not helping with any edits nor any other drafts just originally wrote up a section

Anyone have feedback on what to do because she abandoned the project?? Do I keep your name on as co-author?

She is not helping with any edits nor any other drafts just originally wrote up a section
Provided you didn't cut that section entirely from the paper, definitely keep her as a co-author.