Education Major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srstrothmann

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So, I recently graduated from UNC Chapel Hill with a degree in Elementary Education. I was certain I wanted to work with children, but unsure in what capacity. I took only 1 science class (Bio 101/lab) and got a C (During summer school- and I missed almost a full week of the 4 weeks of class due to a Black Widow bite and resulting hospitalization). I clearly bombed the next exam. At the time, it didn't matter. I passed with a C, and moved on.

Now, I'm strongly interested in applying to medical school to pursue pediatrics. I generally score very well on standardized tests and can excel in almost anything I put my mind to. I found a post-bac "career change" program at UNC-Greensboro and am considering applying.

Will a post-bac program such as this bring up my undergrad GPA (3.4) to an acceptable level for a competitive application? Also, will my one poor bio grade screw me to the point where it just isn't worth it? I am so eager to try this, but would love some honest criticism before I take such a huge financial jump.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Will a post-bac program such as this bring up my undergrad GPA (3.4) to an acceptable level for a competitive application?
3.4 is not that far from competitive. You can do some math to figure out what your cumulative overall & science GPAs will be after finishing science prereqs.
Also, will my one poor bio grade screw me to the point where it just isn't worth it?
You're about to take a boatload of science that will make that one poor bio grade look insignificant.

However: Before you dive in to a full science load, take one class and see how you do. Take a math or science class, something difficult, at night at a CC or whatnot. If you can get an A, great, if not, do some more thinking about whether you want to go full hog. The premed prereqs are weeder classes, and you may get your fanny handed to you if you're not ready.

Best of luck to you.

A post bac may not change your cum GPA too much, but if you can get consistently high grades in your post-bacc classes it may not matter anyway. Schools will look at the fact that you went back to school, see your experience, see your improved grades and take all of that into consideration.