Education opportunities while deployed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usma05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have an experience with Army TA or other educational opportunities while deployed? Are we even eligible for it (the ArmyEd guys make me think so, but I'm a little hesistant to think they'd help me get a Masters while I'm paying off my MD). Any other suggestions for education to do while downrange so I don't claw my eyes out from boredom (fully realizing boredom is a good thing)?

Members don't see this ad.

i looked into this during my deployment. my guy (very friendly and helpful) also thought a masters would be do-able even as a physician. however- any money you take has a 2 year ADSO attached, which i think starts as soon as you finish whatever it is you are using the TA for. to me it wasn't worth the 4-5k or however much it was to risk some HRC doofus accidentally screwing up my ADSO. think of the steal it would be to get a couple extra years out of you for a few online credit hours.

i've known a few people get ILE knocked out while deployed, and a few others get manuscripts and things completed. but no one that i know of took "real" classes.

--your friendly neighborhood pennies on the dollar caveman

At least you can do all of your cme while deployed, if you have internet access.

Members don't see this ad :)
May be tap your VA education benefits that way you don't add to your ADSO.

May be tap your VA education benefits that way you don't add to your ADSO.

i'd probably wait until you can extract a little more value out of it. fellowship training, brick and mortar schooling, trasferring to kids/spouse (if you're in that long). seems like a waste to spend it on online correspondence courses.

i second the CME. or write your memoir or take up a hobby. are you looking at MBA, MPH kind of stuff or do you just want to get that masters in medieval history?

--your friendly neighborhood king neanderthal IV caveman

I'd like to save my GI bill as a reserve for kids or myself if they can pay their way...

I was looking at doing something to better myself the 5 months I was there outside of hitting the gym 5 times a day. All options were on the table. MBA/MPH/certifications (medical or non-medical, maybe even TEE?). The impression I had initially was TA was served concurrently and not consecutively and with an ADSO of 6+ years I th ought it wouldn't make a difference. If it's gonna add to that I think I'll look through other avenues (i.e. a lot of free college classes online these days, just no degree).

I'd like to save my GI bill as a reserve for kids or myself if they can pay their way...

I was looking at doing something to better myself the 5 months I was there outside of hitting the gym 5 times a day. All options were on the table. MBA/MPH/certifications (medical or non-medical, maybe even TEE?). The impression I had initially was TA was served concurrently and not consecutively and with an ADSO of 6+ years I th ought it wouldn't make a difference. If it's gonna add to that I think I'll look through other avenues (i.e. a lot of free college classes online these days, just no degree).

definitely keep the GI bill to transfer.

it does run concurrently, but i'd get it in iron clad non-alterable writing and verify with HRC as well. realistically you can't really get an MPH done (i looked into this for my 13 months in the sandbox), and many on line versions (at least the reputable ones i was interested in) require some in person time at the campus to finish it off. i'm not sure if MBA is similar. what's a TEE? 5 months isn't really a huge amount of time. it'll take a month to get into the swing of things, then the last month you'll be prepping to go. so really you have 3 months to do anything worthwhile-- but if there's a relevant certificate of some type you think is worthwhile, go for it.

-- your friendly neighborhood check out my online minister certificate caveman