All Branch Topic (ABT) Educational delay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geo16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently thinking about Army ROTC after the Reserve fiasco (me)

Where can I find an information about Educational Delay?
I just want to know if they are granted mid-service.
Like, is it possible to apply to med school while serving as an officer?
(ex: 2 years into Active Duty officer -> apply to med school?)

My goal is to become a military doctor :)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know anything about the process, but have a classmate at USUHS that served at least one year as an infantry officer (still had ADSO). So it is possible. Probably not very likely.

I'm currently thinking about Army ROTC after the Reserve fiasco (me)

Where can I find an information about Educational Delay?
I just want to know if they are granted mid-service.
Like, is it possible to apply to med school while serving as an officer?
(ex: 2 years into Active Duty officer -> apply to med school?)

My goal is to become a military doctor :)

Just like last time....if your primary goal, full stop, is to be a doctor in the military...... Your best bet is to not talk to the military until you have a med school acceptance (or expect one immediately) and you are thinking HPSP, HCSP (the weird navy one, not sure if I got the letters right), or MDSSP.

And frankly, unless you are just dying for living funds or at a crazy expensive school, I'd really suggest waiting until getting out of med school to see if the military is what you really want out of life.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I read the old thread. STAY OUT OF THE MILITARY UNTIL YOU GET INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL.

The end.

Can you do ROTC and get into medical school? Yes, but it is another roadblock that you do not need.

Just like last time....if your primary goal, full stop, is to be a doctor in the military...... Your best bet is to not talk to the military until you have a med school acceptance (or expect one immediately) and you are thinking HPSP, HCSP (the weird navy one, not sure if I got the letters right), or MDSSP.

And frankly, unless you are just dying for living funds or at a crazy expensive school, I'd really suggest waiting until getting out of med school to see if the military is what you really want out of life.

Alright.. I got you. So I'm asking this time because I just got into a public 4 year university and my plan has changed. I'm thinking about just transferring out since my CC denied my financial aid and I have to pay for it starting next academic year.

1) Need 2 years of scholarships, also $4000 stipends sounds good ... currently there are no grants/fin-aid since I had a FAFSA complication (I couldn't apply for it).
2) Need to do a post-bacc (thinking about 1-2 years) and thought I should join ROTC so that I could pay for the post-bacc tuition + fund for application process

Just wanted to give you a context if that helps..

Last edited:
Alright.. I got you. So I'm asking this time because I just got into a public 4 year university and my plan has changed. I'm thinking about just transferring out since my CC denied my financial aid and I have to pay for it starting next academic year.

1) Need 2 years of scholarships, also $4000 stipends sounds good ... currently there are no grants/fin-aid since I had a FAFSA complication (I couldn't apply for it).
2) Need to do a post-bacc (thinking about 1-2 years) and thought I should join ROTC so that I could pay for the post-bacc tuition + fund for application process

Just wanted to give you a context if that helps..
Rotc is even worse if you think you'll need a post bac year or two

Why are being denied fafsa?

Rotc is even worse if you think you'll need a post bac year or two

Why are being denied fafsa?
I have to declare my independent status for FAFSA and it requires the school's help. So I have to wait until Summer in order to go through this process.
For my 3rd year, which will be next year, I do not have any grants/scholarships to pay for it. $14k for tuition and another $11k for living expenses/other fees.. Out of desperation, I've opened the pandora box and looked into ROTC .
FAFSA should be okay to go if I talk to fin-aid department. But there is no financial aid to help me.

[edit]
CC- I have over 90 units, and they do not provide any financial aid to any students with more than 90 units.
4 year - would help me with FAFSA, but no Finaid - no grants/scholarships to help me. FAFSA will most likely be used to take out a loan.

I have to declare my independent status for FAFSA and it requires the school's help. So I have to wait until Summer in order to go through this process.
For my 3rd year, which will be next year, I do not have any grants/scholarships to pay for it. $14k for tuition and another $11k for living expenses/other fees.. Out of desperation, I've opened the pandora box and looked into ROTC for awhile now.
FAFSA should be okay to go if I talk to fin-aid department. But there is no financial aid to help me.
Declare independence and get fafsa. Call financial aid now.

Even if you burn a year, which you shouldn't, it's a better plan than rotc. Does your family live in town?

Declare independence and get fafsa. Call financial aid now.

Even if you burn a year, which you shouldn't, it's a better plan than rotc. Does your family live in town?
I am going to call today.
My family lives in Korea. I live alone in the U.S.
Kind of complicated how I got my citizenship here, but I am on my own 100%.

I am going to call today.
My family lives in Korea. I live alone in the U.S.
Kind of complicated how I got my citizenship here, but I am on my own 100%.
If you are independent and filed so on your taxes, you should get fafsa. Were you specifically turned down? And what did they say?

If you are independent and filed so on your taxes, you should get fafsa. Were you specifically turned down? And what did they say?
So, there was a March 2nd deadline this year to file for 17-18 FAFSA in order to be considered for scholarships/grants provided by University of California (if not, there is Cal Grants as well). But I couldn't get my FAFSA before March 2nd because of independent status declaration must be processed this Summer.
Therefore, I am not considered for any scholarships/grants (Blue and Gold) and in order to attend the university, I have to pay the tuition with a loan. On top of that, there is California cost of living...
Getting my FAFSA done isn't that hard, but except I couldn't get it done just before March 2nd. My CC won't help me until summer and heck, I didn't know I could get into that university until I got an admission letter.

So, there was a March 2nd deadline this year to file for 17-18 FAFSA in order to be considered for scholarships/grants provided by University of California (if not, there is Cal Grants as well). But I couldn't get my FAFSA before March 2nd because of independent status declaration must be processed this Summer.
Therefore, I am not considered for any scholarships/grants (Blue and Gold) and in order to attend the university, I have to pay the tuition with a loan. On top of that, there is California cost of living...
Getting my FAFSA done isn't that hard, but except I couldn't get it done just before March 2nd. My CC won't help me until summer and heck, I didn't know I could get into that university until I got an admission letter.
pay with the loan.....what am I missing here?

pay with the loan.....what am I missing here?
The living expenses.
I've looked up and the rent for off-campus would be at least $1000/month ... Cheapest was $890-910 but with a roommate (wtf) I'd have to look fore more listings. It's Northern California, so it's understanable.. But.. I have to find a way to pay for my living expenses/cost of living etc.
On-campus starts at $11k
I've paid my living expenses with the federal loan so far, but if I'm paying my tuition with Federal loan... (god help me lol) Hopefully, I can work it out with a fin-aid officer haha

Last edited:
The living expenses.
I've looked up and the rent for off-campus would be at least $1000/month ... Cheapest was $890-910 but with a roommate (wtf) I'd have to look fore more listings. It's Northern California, so it's understanable.. But.. I have to find a way to pay for my living expenses/cost of living etc.
On-campus starts at $11k
I've paid my living expenses with the federal loan so far, but if I'm paying my tuition with Federal loan... (god help me lol) Hopefully, I can work it out with a fin-aid officer haha
basic living expenses are part of cost of attending.....you can work 10-15hrs wk for extra spending money if you need it

go get the loan

I realize the discussion has moved on, but I've only known one person relevant to the OP's question. His entrance to active duty was delayed following commissioning from ROTC (this used to be common; it still might be), which meant that four years later his ADSO ended a couple of months after his medical school was scheduled to start. I don't know the details, but he couldn't or wouldn't defer with the medical school and no one would budge on the dates. The Army ended up "letting" him go to medical school only because he did HPSP. Those extra few months ended up keeping him in uniform for another four years (nine really, but I'm considering residency a wash).

Anyway, the point is that lots of things are possible in the military, but the probability of getting what you want is low. That probability will get even lower the more hurdles you put in your way, and - when it comes to medical school - ROTC is a hurdle that most people can live without.

If your goal is to be a physician and you will need two years of a post bach to get in to do not do ROTC unless you want to serve as a line officer for the full commitment and do the post bach after you get out of the military.

basic living expenses are part of cost of attending.....you can work 10-15hrs wk for extra spending money if you need it

go get the loan

Alright, going to find a way somehow :p Hopefully, I can get a job as something related to medical field.

I realize the discussion has moved on, but I've only known one person relevant to the OP's question. His entrance to active duty was delayed following commissioning from ROTC (this used to be common; it still might be), which meant that four years later his ADSO ended a couple of months after his medical school was scheduled to start. I don't know the details, but he couldn't or wouldn't defer with the medical school and no one would budge on the dates. The Army ended up "letting" him go to medical school only because he did HPSP. Those extra few months ended up keeping him in uniform for another four years (nine really, but I'm considering residency a wash).

Anyway, the point is that lots of things are possible in the military, but the probability of getting what you want is low. That probability will get even lower the more hurdles you put in your way, and - when it comes to medical school - ROTC is a hurdle that most people can live without.
Got it!
So then, just forget anything about military (for now)..

If your goal is to be a physician and you will need two years of a post bach to get in to do not do ROTC unless you want to serve as a line officer for the full commitment and do the post bach after you get out of the military.
Yeah, I thought I could do post-bacc (DIY nigh classes or online even) within 4 year service.
Also, when people say 'get out of military' does it include the 4 year period as IRR? Or just 4 year full-time active duty service?

Yeah, I thought I could do post-bacc (DIY nigh classes or online even) within 4 year service.
Also, when people say 'get out of military' does it include the 4 year period as IRR? Or just 4 year full-time active duty service?

IRR does not represent a time commitment. Out of the military in this context functionally means end of active duty service.

Also you could probably get some classes done while serving but when people say "post Bach" I usually take that to mean some sort of formal program. Also remember that rotc isn't just some club you do when you have the time. It's a real time commitment during undergrad. (And as such can take away time from the rest of the stuff you would be doing to try to get in to medical school)

IRR does not represent a time commitment. Out of the military in this context functionally means end of active duty service.

Also you could probably get some classes done while serving but when people say "post Bach" I usually take that to mean some sort of formal program. Also remember that rotc isn't just some club you do when you have the time. It's a real time commitment during undergrad. (And as such can take away time from the rest of the stuff you would be doing to try to get in to medical school)

I would need a year of Organic Chemistry after graduation. It's going to be just 1 year. But I would like to take another year to take upper division bio courses if I need to boost my sGPA. It'd be most likely be an informal DIY post-bacc (either through the UC Extension/ Cal State extension).

I would need a year of Organic Chemistry after graduation. It's going to be just 1 year. But I would like to take another year to take upper division bio courses if I need to boost my sGPA. It'd be most likely be an informal DIY post-bacc (either through the UC Extension/ Cal State extension).
Geo16 - Do the math, a 4 year ROTC scholarship at a UC isn't worth a 4 year ROTC obligation + HPSP obligation as an MD in the military. A 2 year scholarship even less so.... and ROTC participation for stipend only with a 3 year ROTC obligation the worst idea ever. Additionally, to get a 4 year scholarship including your graduate school you have to be in a degree conferring program (Masters for example). A DIY post doc would not be accessible from ROTC.

Take out loans until you are eligible for grants via FAFSA.

Geo16 - Do the math, a 4 year ROTC scholarship at a UC isn't worth a 4 year ROTC obligation + HPSP obligation as an MD in the military. A 2 year scholarship even less so.... and ROTC participation for stipend only with a 3 year ROTC obligation the worst idea ever. Additionally, to get a 4 year scholarship including your graduate school you have to be in a degree conferring program (Masters for example). A DIY post doc would not be accessible from ROTC.

Take out loans until you are eligible for grants via FAFSA.
Oki.. I will get a loan for 17-18 year. 18-19 I will be covered by all grants/scholarships.

NO MORE ROTC/RESERVE TILL I GET THERE<-- got it :p