Educational stipend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermabond

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on what to do with a $900 educational stipend? I already have an iphone but am not sure if I should get an ipad, books, epocrates subscription, pay for usmle step 3 etc. What have other interns/residents used these funds for?

Also what is the fee for step 3? Is it near $1500 like step 2 cs/ck?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If your program doesn't reimburse you separately for Step 3 and/or licensing fees, I'd consider putting it toward that. The USMLE Step 3 is about $700, and in most states the licensing fee is a pretty penny as well.

You get 900 bones as a stipend? Damn...

Uh, send it to me. That'd be a great use for the money.

Any thoughts on what to do with a $900 educational stipend? I already have an iphone but am not sure if I should get an ipad, books, epocrates subscription, pay for usmle step 3 etc. What have other interns/residents used these funds for?

Also what is the fee for step 3? Is it near $1500 like step 2 cs/ck?

Thanks!

If you can use it to go on a conference, pick somewhere nice and go. You'd likely need to add some of your own dough, but at least some of the tab will be covered. Of course I'd only do this after I'd purchased books and other necessities first.

Start by spending it on the things you know you need-- so if your program will reimburse for licensing or USMLE registration, start there. $900 won't begin to cover the damages.

I don't know how your program works, but mine won't reimburse for electronics-- so the iPad is out. Mine is also very strict about making sure you have receipts available, and I suspect yours will be too.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the "get books and actually read them" philosophy.

I get about the same amount and will be getting a new laptop (my current one is hurting). If I didn't need a new comp, I'd spend it on step 3. You could also get a PDA or something else expensive that will be useful for you.

We get $1200 per year, and first year I used them for step 3 and a textbook. Second year I used them to purchase loupes (which cost $700 - $1300). I would hold off on buying an iPad or some other toy until those first two years are over with. An iPhone is more than sufficient for medical apps and textbook e-readers.

Oh yeah, Step 3 is about $700, and you also have to pay for whatever book or prep you're going to use for that as well.