FMG getting into a fellow purely for educational purposes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

U_man92

Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to ask if its possible to complete an internal medicine residency in my home country and apply purely for skill gaining purposes for a fellowship program. I'm not talking any sort of Ivy league program, I believe any exposure to how things are done in the U.S could be very valuable to my career in my home country. I would not remain working in the U.S nor do I ever intend to move there. I wish to train and take skills backs home. Is there any suitable route? Qatar's HMC does have an ACGME accredited Internal medicine program, however, I do not intend to go there. I will be doing a totally unaccepted training program in my home country.
cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

This used to be possible but no longer is. If you want to do a fellowship in the US, you need to do residency in the US first.
Unless you're an exceptional candidate of some sort, then there's exceptions. But it sounds quite difficult to meet that criteria.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you're an exceptional candidate of some sort, then there's exceptions. But it sounds quite difficult to meet that criteria.
I was going to add the line: "Countdown to someone mansplaining the exceptions to the rule in...3...2...1...". But it decided it was unnecessary. Clearly I was wrong.

This used to be possible but no longer is. If you want to do a fellowship in the US, you need to do residency in the US first.

I have heard from one of my seniors that this isn't the case in Radiology? That one could complete a residency in radiology outside the states and apply for a fellowship here. Is my senior misinformed?

I have heard from one of my seniors that this isn't the case in Radiology? That one could complete a residency in radiology outside the states and apply for a fellowship here. Is my senior misinformed?

This is the case in Radiation Oncology - fellows can come residency trained from other countries and complete an educational fellowship here. Historically, this lead to people loopholing into attending jobs (mostly Canadian grads, but some European as well).

Given that @gutonc @rokshana and @aProgDirector are all IM trained (I believe) their statement is likely true for IM, but I'm not 100% sure about the scenario in DR.

This is the case in Radiation Oncology - fellows can come residency trained from other countries and complete an educational fellowship here. Historically, this lead to people loopholing into attending jobs (mostly Canadian grads, but some European as well).

Given that @gutonc @rokshana and @aProgDirector are all IM trained (I believe) their statement is likely true for IM, but I'm not 100% sure about the scenario in DR.

Speaking to some, they've said there are some non-accredited ways for this to be possible in the Radiology field. Your idea of loopholing seems to be on point.

See the above link. It's required for all fields now, not just IM specific.

Although it might be possible for an IMG to do a non-ACGME accredited fellowship, that won't work as a "loophole" into getting a license since most/all licensing requirements are ACGME or AOA accredited training.