Educational video game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

On what platform would you play an educational game built for Step 1/2/3/etc?

• PC

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Mac/Linux

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Facebook

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Browser game, non-Facebook

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • iPad

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • iPhone

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Droid tablet

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Droid phone

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • I likely wouldn't play such a game

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

ancientcampus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN! Throughout my studies, I've been accumulating ideas for videogames designed to be first and foremost entertaining, and simultaneously teach facts and concepts that are high-yield on Step 1. The primary goal is to make a game fun enough to constitute a study break, but the player would walk away retaining details taken straight from board review books. "Inadvertent learning," if you will.

If you're like me, the term "Educational Game" carries negative connotations. I grew up playing a multitude of educational games as a kid, and am frustrated by the wasted potential. I'm making the games I want to play myself.

My question for you all: would you play such a game, if it was directed at your level (Step1/2/3/etc)? On what platform would you like it?

Edit: if both PC and Mac/Linux work for you, please just check "PC".

Edit2 (2/27/2013): There's a frustrating legal quagmire around "suggestions" for commercial products. Therefore, if I may, I ask that you not give me suggestions for games. If you want to share ideas here, please include, "I agree, these ideas are free" if you disavow ownership of the ideas and agree that anyone can use or redistribute your ideas in this thread in any way without credit or compensation to you. If you'd rather not, put it in spoilers or turn your text white (like this) and I won't read it. Thanks! (I trust you guys, but the internet is a big place, and I really hate that this stuff is necessary.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Make it like Mist where you find clues to identify a disease or deficiency or whatever.

I have no ideas, but I think this is an interesting concept, and if you figure out a way to do it efficiently, you will make some serious bank. I know I'd buy a video game that taught me a little about USMLE concepts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought of this idea a few years ago. I think the biggest problem is it would cost a lot of money in development to make the game interesting (graphics,story lines, etc).

The further it existed from a modified flashcard app the more it would be successful.

If WoW can all usmle step material I would have got a 299 on step 1, no doubt whatsoever. But that isn't really a game you can make in your basement.

Edit: If you do end up making something and need some help, let me know. I am a programmer and finishing M3 year shortly....I could help.

I have no ideas, but I think this is an interesting concept, and if you figure out a way to do it efficiently, you will make some serious bank. I know I'd buy a video game that taught me a little about USMLE concepts.

Seriously.

This idea is free for use:

I think some sort of surgical game would be fun. Not one of those where you have to drag your mouse or finger in straight lines and such; those are boring. Something along the lines of the indications, planning, intellectual component, recovery times, etc. Maybe have an anesthesia component for those interested in that.

i.e.

Give a scenario, then ask for possible treatment options, determine if the patient is a good candidate for surgery, etc.

Progress time to day of surgery; have player determine proper aseptic procedures, proper patient positioning, etc. Then give the player a view of the patient's op site.

Now, go through the actual surgery and all it's steps; asking questions along the way like, "What vasculature would you expect to find under this site?" Or "What are some possible normal variations of the anatomy in this area?" Then maybe show one of these variations and ask "How would you change the plan of this surgery?"

As the procedure proceeds, maybe some other questions would be: "What would you expect to see in "x" scenario? Or "How would you expect the patient's vitals to react if you compressed this structure?"

Then finally proceed through closure, post-op, etc.

Would take a lot of time to develop all these scenarios, and such, I know. But it could give people a good idea of what they need to be thinking before and while they have someone under their knife.

This idea is free to use:

kill yourself.

This idea is free for use:

I think some sort of surgical game would be fun. Not one of those where you have to drag your mouse or finger in straight lines and such; those are boring. Something along the lines of the indications, planning, intellectual component, recovery times, etc. Maybe have an anesthesia component for those interested in that.

i.e.

Give a scenario, then ask for possible treatment options, determine if the patient is a good candidate for surgery, etc.

Progress time to day of surgery; have player determine proper aseptic procedures, proper patient positioning, etc. Then give the player a view of the patient's op site.

Now, go through the actual surgery and all it's steps; asking questions along the way like, "What vasculature would you expect to find under this site?" Or "What are some possible normal variations of the anatomy in this area?" Then maybe show one of these variations and ask "How would you change the plan of this surgery?"

As the procedure proceeds, maybe some other questions would be: "What would you expect to see in "x" scenario? Or "How would you expect the patient's vitals to react if you compressed this structure?"

Then finally proceed through closure, post-op, etc.

Would take a lot of time to develop all these scenarios, and such, I know. But it could give people a good idea of what they need to be thinking before and while they have someone under their knife.

:thumbup::thumbup: