Effect of a solid on equilibrium

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Juggernaut604

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was working through a QVault quesiton, and one of the answers was pretty interesting. They stated that solids don't affect equilibrium (with which I agree), but "removing all the solid from a solution, by filtration, would mean that the solution is no longer at equilibria"

Logically, what they say makes sense to me. If we had Ksp for something like Mg(OH)2, I feel like if all the solid reactant was removed, the products would have to shift to reattain equilibrium; however, when one looks at the equilibria expression, it's clear that the solid isn't included, so I do not understand what exactly happens.

In summary, would equilibria change if all the solid was removed, and how does this relate to the equilibria expression? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I was working through a QVault quesiton, and one of the answers was pretty interesting. They stated that solids don't affect equilibrium (with which I agree), but "removing all the solid from a solution, by filtration, would mean that the solution is no longer at equilibria"

Logically, what they say makes sense to me. If we had Ksp for something like Mg(OH)2, I feel like if all the solid reactant was removed, the products would have to shift to reattain equilibrium; however, when one looks at the equilibria expression, it's clear that the solid isn't included, so I do not understand what exactly happens.

In summary, would equilibria change if all the solid was removed, and how does this relate to the equilibria expression? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
there will be equilibria change if volume is taken into account but when we calculate K(sp,a,b) we donot take into account of liquid and solid so if vol is not taken into account then no it won't change.

there will be equilibria change if volume is taken into account but when we calculate K(sp,a,b) we donot take into account of liquid and solid so if vol is not taken into account then no it won't change.

So would you say that QVault's explanation is erroneous?

So would you say that QVault's explanation is erroneous?
so to effect equilibria change there has to be only temp change, that's the only factor which will change all d K's, the other change has to do with volume changes an stuff's like that, I haven't had a chance to use qvault so I can't really comment on it, read there explanation and see if it makes sense. you can verify with other sources too