Effect of DWI on admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much will a DWI/DUI affect admission to medical school? I'm being charged with one right now and I want to know how it will realistically affect my future in medicine if I am convicted (the reason why i say "if" is because there are several sketchy areas of the case that might lead to me not being convicted). I have absolutely no prior criminal record and nothing on my driving record either (other than two parking tickets which probably dont even show up on driving records). In the worst-case-scenario that I am convicted, how much of a negative impact would it have on my admission, and does anyone have any advice on how to recover my image in front of an adcom after an incident like this? I understand that DWI is serious and I've already heard plenty of lectures about how I messed up, so please spare the comments on how it was a dumb decision to drive after drinking and only respond if you have some knowledge/advice about this subject.

Members don't see this ad.

kdburton said:
How much will a DWI/DUI affect admission to medical school? I'm being charged with one right now and I want to know how it will realistically affect my future in medicine if I am convicted (the reason why i say "if" is because there are several sketchy areas of the case that might lead to me not being convicted). I have absolutely no prior criminal record and nothing on my driving record either (other than two parking tickets which probably dont even show up on driving records). In the worst-case-scenario that I am convicted, how much of a negative impact would it have on my admission, and does anyone have any advice on how to recover my image in front of an adcom after an incident like this? I understand that DWI is serious and I've already heard plenty of lectures about how I messed up, so please spare the comments on how it was a dumb decision to drive after drinking and only respond if you have some knowledge/advice about this subject.

A friend of mine who had stellar stats (3.9 GPA 33 MCAT) was asked point blank in an interview whether or not he had ever been convicted of any alcohol or drug related crimes. When he fessed up about being convicted of a DUI during a spring break trip, the interviewer promptly closed his file and said "thank you, have a nice day." Needless to say, my friend did not get into any U.S. med schools and is now studying medicine in the Dominican Republic. It definitely hurt him, but he'll still be a doctor some day, just not the way he wanted.

Slash said:
A friend of mine who had stellar stats (3.9 GPA 33 MCAT) was asked point blank in an interview whether or not he had ever been convicted of any alcohol or drug related crimes. When he fessed up about being convicted of a DUI during a spring break trip, the interviewer promptly closed his file and said "thank you, have a nice day." Needless to say, my friend did not get into any U.S. med schools and is now studying medicine in the Dominican Republic. It definitely hurt him, but he'll still be a doctor some day, just not the way he wanted.

ouch........thats gotta hurt.

to the OP, are you applying right now?

Members don't see this ad :)
jon stewart said:
ouch........thats gotta hurt.

to the OP, are you applying right now?

I will actually be applying next year. I still have some classes to take but I'll be done with all of them by spring semester. Also just in case anyone was wondering - The incident was approx a year ago so by the time I would be interviewing it would be roughly two years afterwards.

Also... To Slash. It sounds like your friend didn't bother to fess up until his interview. If I am correct it asks you whether or not you have been convicted of "any crimes not including minor traffic offenses" (i.e. DUI/DWI) on most if not all applications. With that said the outcome may have been slightly different had he fessed up right away instead of during the interview (im not sure about this though). I've heard that once backround checks became mandatory at medical schools they found a handful of people who had been convicted of DUI and similar crimes and just made sure that a counselor guided them through proper steps to clear their name before residency.

kdburton said:
I will actually be applying next year. I still have some classes to take but I'll be done with all of them by spring semester. Also just in case anyone was wondering - The incident was approx a year ago so by the time I would be interviewing it would be roughly two years afterwards.

Also... To Slash. It sounds like your friend didn't bother to fess up until his interview. If I am correct it asks you whether or not you have been convicted of "any crimes not including minor traffic offenses" (i.e. DUI/DWI) on most if not all applications. With that said the outcome may have been slightly different had he fessed up right away instead of during the interview (im not sure about this though). I've heard that once backround checks became mandatory at medical schools they found a handful of people who had been convicted of DUI and similar crimes and just made sure that a counselor guided them through proper steps to clear their name before residency.

I do not have any official experience/knowledge of this, but I do know that honesty is definitely the best answer because they will find out. Obviously you are fighting/appealing, which is good, but I think I have read some where that you have to go through an alcohol program with a DUI conviction (which I know you don't have yet) in order to get liscenced. Perhaps you can look at that legal stuff, so you can show the adcom's you are taking responsibility for your actions. I guarentee that it will probably still come up in several interviews even if you are honest on your secondary applications, so be prepared to discuss it.

kdburton said:

My friend did put on his applications that he had been convicted of a DUI during a sprink break trip sophomore year of college. He applied to 9 med schools and got interviews at 5. When he got those 5 interviews he thought he was good to go and that the med schools had elected to overlook his conviction since they bothered to grant him interviews. Well, the person that grants interviews apparently doesn't carry much weight in the admissions committee meetings because my friend didn't get into any of the 5 schools he interviewed at and at one school his interview ended prematurely when the interviewer looked at his file and asked him point blank the question about convictions. It's a pretty serious matter, and he paid a hefty price for it.

HEY
I know someone who got into three schools with a DUI, a friend of mine (but they had to go through all kinds of steps for the court) but this was way before they applied to med school. Obviously people can make mistakes, I am less sympathetic if someone were to make them again. I think what might hurt you is it just happened now (I know in my friend's case it was like 6 years before he applied to med school, and he never drank after that) Kind of ironic because he wasnt a big drinker to begin with, but I guess they may have hit him worse (the alcohol).
good luck.

Many districts require that a physician have no criminal record at all (example: Ontario medical schools). Hence, they ask you while you apply. I hope you win your case because having a criminal record can be unforgiving. If you lose, appeal like mad to get it off your record. You can't afford to lose your chances. I apologize if I'm forcasting a doom and gloom scenerio but thats the worst than can happen to my knowledge. If I'm totally off base, I apologize in advance.

Wow. That is crazy. People make mistakes. Yes, driving while intoxicated hurts people, but I would have never thought that such an incident would keep you from getting into med school. Also, returning to a previous thread, what is the best way to answer questions pertaining to drugs and alcohol in general? Do schools only care if you have been caught?

kdburton said:
I've heard that once backround checks became mandatory at medical schools they found a handful of people who had been convicted of DUI and similar crimes

First, I don't think background checks are mandatory yet (correct me if Im wrong). Second, there are some schools that just don't ask this question on their applications. Apply to those only. Third, what state do you live in? Some states will remove convictions from your record after 3 years time, if you don't have any other criminal record. Maybe you should wait that one extra year before applying. It may be worth it.

J5L said:
First, I don't think background checks are mandatory yet (correct me if Im wrong). Second, there are some schools that just don't ask this question on their applications. Apply to those only. Third, what state do you live in? Some states will remove convictions from your record after 3 years time, if you don't have any other criminal record. Maybe you should wait that one extra year before applying. It may be worth it.

First of all the AMCAS requires you report any criminal convictions other than the traffic violations. Period. So regardless if secondaries for a specific school ask that question again, it'll show up on his application. Second, a DWI is not something you can expunge from your record. I'm not sure of the specifics but it's a major offense. Applying a year after is not suggestible either. What is another year going to do for you if you're not applying even this year? Background checks are not mandatory at some schools but some will run them on their own students. I know UCDavis does.

Wow, I had no idea one mistake like that could keep you from becoming a doctor. :(

I'm really against drunk driving, but within reason! It's not fair to punish people indefinitely for crimes, aren't you trying to make your life better and do something great by applying to med school? It reminds me of the law that keeps people from getting financial aid if they have a drug-related conviction. So an admitted alcoholic and cocain user can become president, but a regular person can't bet a B.A.? That's fair...

To the OP, good luck! If I were you I would hire a good lawyer, even if you just speak to him/her once for advice.

i agree with Fzooming about the time...
It just seems too soon for you to apply now, it's not like they can see 5+ years behind you to really show it was an isolated incident. Obviously DUI is a bad thing and wont help, but people do make mistakes which is more obvious when it was a one time thing and how has ones behavior gone since then. There are far worse crimes, and far less, but hey it's not for me to decide. I don't think someone should be banned from a field from one mistake that a lot of people are probably guilty of, BUT say you dont stop drinking and go out and get another one or two or more (which does happen). Then I wouldnt think you should get in or learned anything. I thikn as far as the steps they want to see you dont have an addictiona nd if you do that you have gotten help from it.
good luck and i dont think you ruined your chances forever though you may need more time to put it behind you. ps please think deeper about things now.

Members don't see this ad :)
i geuss this serves as a chilling reminder that we must not do stupid things that could very easily jeapordize our dreams.

btw, is a DUI/DWI a felony or a misdemeanor?

BooMed said:
Wow, I had no idea one mistake like that could keep you from becoming a doctor. :(

I'm really against drunk driving, but within reason! It's not fair to punish people indefinitely for crimes, aren't you trying to make your life better and do something great by applying to med school? It reminds me of the law that keeps people from getting financial aid if they have a drug-related conviction. So an admitted alcoholic and cocain user can become president, but a regular person can't bet a B.A.? That's fair...

To the OP, good luck! If I were you I would hire a good lawyer, even if you just speak to him/her once for advice.

yea it certianly sucks. I learned this summer that due to new homeland securtiy measures "foregin nationals" cant volunteer at some hosptials... unless they are with a 3rd party, like some international organisation.

Freakingzooming said:
First of all the AMCAS requires you report any criminal convictions other than the traffic violations. Period.
wrong, they only ask about a felony

Second, a DWI is not something you can expunge from your record.
it depends on the state; some felonies can be removed some places

Applying a year after is not suggestible either. What is another year going to do for you if you're not applying even this year?

another year would make it three years since the crime, and thus he could apply for it to be removed (if it can be expunged in his state, and if the time period is 3 years)

you really have no chance, that's what you get for putting people's lives in danger.

actually he does have a chance, reread what I said above.
Also, we all know its wrong, but there are also other things people do that put peoples lives in danger and kill more people (ie smoking, speeding, etc). I am not advocating drinking and driving or any other crime, but sometimes people make mistakes. So what should anyone who makes a mistake just keep making them? I mean why not, if once you have done something wrong you are never ever allowed to do anything with yourself.

Noeljan said:
actually he does have a chance, reread what I said above.
Also, we all know its wrong, but there are also other things people do that put peoples lives in danger and kill more people (ie smoking, speeding, etc). I am not advocating drinking and driving or any other crime, but sometimes people make mistakes. So what should anyone who makes a mistake just keep making them? I mean why not, if once you have done something wrong you are never ever allowed to do anything with yourself.

i think that a sober driver who speeds is safer than one who is driving under the influence, just my opinion, however one shouldnt be doing either of these. So far i havent heard that poeple who smoke or speed jeapordizing thier chances in med school. I think that the penalties that are in place are there for a reason, even if they suck.

actually I believe speeding causes more deaths than drunk driving each year, but yes they all suck and we should all refrain from doing them. I just don't think people should come down on the guy and just answer what he asked. Hopefully he knows what he did was wrong, and risky.

Although medical schools might not find it out, the licensing board for your state will. You might want to look that up before you take action in court.

Noeljan said:
actually I believe speeding causes more deaths than drunk driving each year, but yes they all suck and we should all refrain from doing them. I just don't think people should come down on the guy and just answer what he asked. Hopefully he knows what he did was wrong, and risky.

idk if maybe this his first criminal offense in his entire life, then isnt there any hope? The OP seems to have learnt his lesson.

so what happens if your a certified surgeon and lets say your like 45 and been practicing for idk 15 years. Lets say you get a DUI, so then what? You just deal with the DUI and thats it, nothing happens to your board liscence? Do you get suspended from practice? anything?

jon stewart said:
so what happens if your a certified surgeon and lets say your like 45 and been practicing for idk 15 years. Lets say you get a DUI, so then what? You just deal with the DUI and thats it, nothing happens to your board liscence? Do you get suspended from practice? anything?

in general in an instance like that you would probably be put on probation by the state licensure board for a first offense. obviously repeat violations will result in suspension of your medical license. there are practicing physicians that have been caught dui or for possession of illicit substances that still practice medicine. censure can also take place at a local level e.g. the hospital at which you practice might add additional stipulations.

I don't want to rock any boats, as I understand this is a very serious matter. However, there are a number of things being written here that could use some clarification. In most states, a DUI/DWI - unless over a BAC of ~.2 - is a traffic misdemeanor, not a criminal misdemeanor (It appears on your traffic record, you do not have a criminal record as a result). A second conviction within a certain time period (3 or 5 years, I can't remember) is a felony (criminal record). Whether or not you have a DUI/DWI expunged, it is still public record and can be found on most thorough credit/background checks.

An interesting fact I recently learned at a malrpractice insurance conference is that someone who has been awake for 24 hours straight suffers from the same impairment as a person witha BAC of 0.10 - over the legal limit in most if not all states. They were trying to express the concern of residents operating after a night on call.

To the OP, the previous posters have the right idea. Being honest and upfront may close some doors for you, but most people will be more concerned with the presence of a pattern of problems and not an isolated event. In the event you do not disclose the information, medical schools and employers are well within their rights to rescind any offers.

Good luck,

Adam

AMCAS only asks for FELONIES. Some schools, however, will ask for any crimes convicted on their secondaries.

I do have a friend who was accepted with 2 misdemeanors, and one was a DUI. The school never asked about it, and didn't do a background check. She is now a MSII.

You still have a shot. We all make mistakes, we are not super humans and ad coms know this.

I agree. DUI is a 2-count misdemeanor (at least in the state of California), not a felony. As long as they don't ask you something about drug/alcohol related conviction, misdemeanors, or arrests. I don't see why you need confess to the adcom about this.
And another thing I want to comment on how people think about driving under influence. It is absolutely a dangerous thing. But what about people talk on the cell phone, eating, or talking to other people in the car, which we probably all have done. These can all distract a driver and cause accidents in a split of a second.
My point is that we shall all pay attention while driving, because the least thing we want to do is to kill someone.

Shouldn't waiting for an expungement absolve you of the crime. Perhaps just waiting for that should be good enough.

kinloms said:
I agree. DUI is a 2-count misdemeanor (at least in the state of California), not a felony. As long as they don't ask you something about drug/alcohol related conviction, misdemeanors, or arrests. I don't see why you need confess to the adcom about this.
And another thing I want to comment on how people think about driving under influence. It is absolutely a dangerous thing. But what about people talk on the cell phone, eating, or talking to other people in the car, which we probably all have done. These can all distract a driver and cause accidents in a split of a second.
My point is that we shall all pay attention while driving, because the least thing we want to do is to kill someone.

I agree.
How many adcoms do you think have driven while under the influence at least once in their lifetimes (especially when they were young) but just were never caught? The answer is ALOT!! Is it responsible? No. But come on people. I have done it in the past, but I just was never pulled over.

By the time this person applies, year will have passed and hopefully will be an isolated incident on his record. You made a mistake, now learn from it. That is what you say if you ever have to mention it.

Rebs said:
Shouldn't waiting for an expungement absolve you of the crime. Perhaps just waiting for that should be good enough.

I can only speak about VA, but doing a quick search on our DMV website a DUI is a class 1 misdemeanor and remains on your driving record for 11 years . . . a bit long to wait for expungement.

All you people who have driven while intoxicated, even once, you should be thanking your lucky stars that nothing worse happened. In my opinion, a sober person talking on hteir cell phone, or eating, is much safer than a drunk person behind the wheel. Their reaction time is still faster than a drunks. And they'd have the common sense to realize when they start driving on the sidewalk, they need to get back on the road.

musiclink213 said:
All you people who have driven while intoxicated, even once, you should be thanking your lucky stars that nothing worse happened. In my opinion, a sober person talking on hteir cell phone, or eating, is much safer than a drunk person behind the wheel. Their reaction time is still faster than a drunks. And they'd have the common sense to realize when they start driving on the sidewalk, they need to get back on the road.

I don't know, I nearly T-boned a girl who pulled out in front of me to cross the road while she was talking on her cell phone. I slammed on my breaks and was less than 10 feet away from her and she NEVER even knew I almost slammed her. She just continued talking never once looking my way and crossed the road.

It doesn't matter if your reaction time is faster when you don't see someone or you hands are occupied doing something other than steering the wheel.

Having said that, I do not condone drinking and driving. I dont even drink but I most admit, like the majority of people, I have done it before. Yes, I am thankful that I never hurt anyone when I did.

musiclink213 said:

thats exaclty what i said, but someone else said that sober poeple are more dangerous,

NoelJan say-"actually I believe speeding causes more deaths than drunk driving each year"

i wonder if there are stats for this, im sure there are but i cant be bothered to find them....... :rolleyes: