Efficacy of foreign drugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrYo12

Y-bomb
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we've had the discussions about the financial impact to the US in terms of importing drugs from Mexico and Canada (which I think has been poorly discussed, btw)...

But I was thinking, what about the actual efficacy issue? All along, the case against importing drugs has been to some extent that we don't know what's in them, they aren't as effective, blah, blah, blah. Is there any truth to this? Are their drugs the same? Is there an actual harm to people who are going across borders and consuming these non-FDA approved drugs?

Discuss.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it all comes down to. do you know the origin of drugs imported from Canada / Mexico? They could be counterfeit. Yet many argue the validity of the requiring a governmental umbrella agency such as the FDA to test and validify the efficacy of drugs available for sale in the US.

doubleup144 said:
I think it all comes down to. do you know the origin of drugs imported from Canada / Mexico? They could be counterfeit. Yet many argue the validity of the requiring a governmental umbrella agency such as the FDA to test and validify the efficacy of drugs available for sale in the US.

What is it about the FDA that uniquely makes it qualified to assess efficacy that other foreign countries can't do? In other words, why is it that we will only believe the FDA and not say the Mexican or Canadian counterpart to that institution in those countries?

DrYo12 said:
What is it about the FDA that uniquely makes it qualified to assess efficacy that other foreign countries can't do? In other words, why is it that we will only believe the FDA and not say the Mexican or Canadian counterpart to that institution in those countries?
From what I understand its not the FDA regulating medications better than anyone else.

My interpretation of the problem is that people can slip drugs into the mix which may be nothing but placebo or as we are constantly reminded "rat poop" or other impurities.

Since these channels of importation are not as tightly controlled as when the US govt buys from foreign factories (as a lot of drugs are manufactured somewhere else) misbranding, forgeries, etc are more likely to end up in the mix.

While i do believe that Canada obtains safe drugs for people up there, the people who buy and resale them may use other means to increase profits.