Efforts in vain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realtalk15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I opened an unnecessary thread but I need some guidance.

I have calculated my projected GPA through my school and by that I would have a 3.34 sGPA and a 3.66 cGPA by the end of my junior year. By using the AMCAS GPA Calculation Spreadsheet however, I end up with a 3.37 Overall GPA and a 3.31 BCPM GPA at the end of my junior year. If I take summer courses (totaling 24 credits), I will have around a 3.49 overall GPA and a 3.45

NOTE: my trend goes from a horrible freshmen year to a 3.9+ per semester

It seems that my freshmen year has really hurt me. What are my chances to get into a medical school considering my sophomore and junior year will have had a GPA of at least a 3.9.

My volunteering includes going to Turkey for an internship at a hospital and volunteering as an EMT in my town. I come from a diverse background and I speak around 4 languages. I may also make my college soccer team

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would try to boost your sciences and do well on MCAT. Not sure where you live, but that doesn't look like you're working hard in vain to me.

I would try to boost your sciences and do well on MCAT. Not sure where you live, but that doesn't look like you're working hard in vain to me.

Thanks for your input. Yes, I will try and take science related courses in the summer session as well to boost my sGPA

Members don't see this ad :)

I have calculated my projected GPA through my school and by that I would have a 3.34 sGPA and a 3.66 cGPA by the end of my junior year. By using the AMCAS GPA Calculation Spreadsheet however, I end up with a 3.37 Overall GPA and a 3.31 BCPM GPA at the end of my junior year. If I take summer courses (totaling 24 credits), I will have around a 3.49 overall GPA and a 3.45

It seems that my freshmen year has really hurt me. What are my chances to get into a medical school considering my sophomore and junior year will have had a GPA of at least a 3.9.

My volunteering includes going to Turkey for an internship at a hospital and volunteering as an EMT in my town. I come from a diverse background and I speak around 4 languages. I may also make my college soccer team
With that GPA projected at the end of your junior year, I would definitely plan on a gap year. You might be able to get in somewhere if you applied next summer, but if you add another year of near 4.0 grades and apply after your senior year, your chances are much better, and many more schools will be open to you. Definitely take as many science courses as you can, summers included, and get A's in all of them to drive your sGPA up as high as possible. You could possibly have some success if you apply next summer, but your chances and your choices will be much better after your senior year if you keep the 3.9+ GPA up.

All of this depends on what your MCAT ends up being, of course. :luck:

3.37/3.31 and a 30+ MCAT will get you in somewhere for sure.