Einstein (160k) vs Yale (240k)

Started by red_fox
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

red_fox

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I am obviously very fortunate to be making this decision and currently leaning towards Yale. I don't know what I want to specialize in, but I am interested in internal medicine, research, and maybe ending up in academic medicine. I think I know what my gut is saying but I can't move past the feeling that would be making a huge financial mistake to turn down free tuition.

Einstein
Pros
  • Cost: total loans ~160K. Maybe less but if I don't get couple's housing would need to live off campus
    • Pro: heavily subsidized student housing
  • Closer to Manhattan where many of my friends live
  • Strong research programs
  • Seems to have a big focus on student wellness which is very important to me
Cons
  • Location: I grew up in more rural/suburban areas so the combination of an urban setting without a ton of things to do within the immediate area I can see contributing negatively to mental health
  • No second look. I know this shouldn't be a big factor but it's hard to get excited about a program I know relatively little about and seeing something in person and meeting current students in person is a big part of that for me.
  • Admissions process was extremely disorganized and makes me nervous about the administration

Yale
Pros
  • Yale System, I really value spending time doing my hobbies and I think the flexibility, lots of time for research
  • Location(ish): Halfway point between home and NYC.
  • P/F clinical years, no shelf exams. I actually think I'd do fine with grades/exam but I really want a non-competitive atmosphere
  • Students seemed happy at second look
  • Better for my partner's career
  • Rank/prestige (Although I'm not sure what the difference between this and Einstein is given Einstein also has a great reputation)
  • Access to undergrad facilities/libraries/museums/etc
Cons
  • Cost: Total loans ~240K, all fed+university loans but interest rates are still high
  • Research year? I enjoy research but financially an extra year is an extra year for my loans to grow and a delayed year of pay
  • Too much flexibility could be a bad thing since I don't know what I want to do yet
  • Housing in New Haven is pretty expensive and I would likely live a 30-40min walk from campus (there is a shuttle however)
I really appreciate any insight especially from students/grads from either!
 
Yale. Listen, I understand the whole "go to the cheaper school mentality," believe me, I do. But it's Yale. :nod: Congratulations.