Einstein (AECOM) vs Loyola Stritch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trevians1989

Reaction score
Please help me decide! I love Chicago but I also love NYC (where I grew up). I live in Chicago currently with my girlfriend (of 3 years) and our dog. She will be attending medical school in Chicago. I'd be devastated to leave them, but I feel like the ranking/prestige of Einstein is important, especially given that STEP is going P/F. I'm really torn. My heart says Loyola but my brain says Einstein.

My girlfriend wants me to go to Loyola, but my parents are pushing Einstein. With that being said, they'd both respect my decision entirely and just want me to be happy. I just don't want to have any regrets either way.

Einstein Pros
  • Ranked 40th by US News for research, 59th in Program Director Ranking
  • Lots of research opportunities and highly regarded for research
  • Made strong effort to reach out to me via email, post-acceptance
  • Montefiore health system is highly regarded in NY
  • Early clinical rotations exposure during 2nd year
  • Near family & friends
  • P/F curriculum
Einstein Cons
  • Residency matches are primarily only in New York area, which limits my options
  • Research heavy school—I've never done research and am not very interested in it, but I know it's important for matching
  • I'd probably have to live with my parents, which wouldn't go well, or live in their crappy student housing
  • Poor facilities (call me materialistic, but I care a lot about having nice facilities to study in!)
  • Little name recognition outside of NY area
  • Away from girlfriend and dog :(
Loyola Pros
  • Program Director Ranking is 61st
  • Would live rent-free in amazing apartment in downtown Chicago with my girlfriend and dog (!!) :)
  • Catholic, Jesuit education. I went to a Catholic high school and undergrad and very much appreciate the catholic social teaching model
  • Mission more in-alignment with my future goals. A lot of social justice focus
  • Residency matches all throughout the nation
  • Better facilities
  • Close to friends
  • P/F curriculum
Loyola Cons
  • Ranked 88th US news for research
  • Very little email communication from the school post-acceptance, and hard to find info online, so makes the school feel less warm towards me
  • Not part of a major health system and not in the city of Chicago
  • Very little name recognition outside of Chicago

Haven't gotten financial aid offers yet, so cost is up in the air but is definitely a factor. The tuition for both schools is about the same ($56k-$59k), but cost-of-living in NYC is much higher.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, they gotcha in a pickle. I think I'd question your statement about Einstein matching mostly in NY. That may be true but likely more by student choice. I also feel like Einstein may be better known outside NY than you think. Also, the living with parents makes me cringe a bit. Comparatively, your situation in Chicago sounds pretty sweet. Might depend on what specialty you want to go into but I imagine Loyola can take you to where you want to go unless you are interested in a very competitive specialty. Friends and GF in Chicago is a plus and it seems it might be more affordable. Unless there is a compelling, specific reason for Einstein (very competitive specialty?), I'd lean toward Loyola.

Reactions: 4 users
Loyola seems to be the better choice in light of your relationship and living situation. A PD ranking of 59 vs 61 indicates that the schools are regarded pretty much identically by residency programs. Loyola's research funding isn't as good as Einstein's, but that doesn't mean there aren't good research opportunities at both. My guess is that this funding difference affects basic science research (wet lab) more than clinical research, which won't impact you much since most med students do clinical research anyway. Ultimately I think avoiding long-distance would mean more social support and less time needed to travel (and therefore more time to study and do ECs)!

Reactions: 2 users
Wow, they gotcha in a pickle. I think I'd question your statement about Einstein matching mostly in NY. That may be true but likely more by student choice. I also feel like Einstein may be better known outside NY than you think. Also, the living with parents makes me cringe a bit. Comparatively, your situation in Chicago sounds pretty sweet. Might depend on what specialty you want to go into but I imagine Loyola can take you to where you want to go unless you are interested in a very competitive specialty. Friends and GF in Chicago is a plus and it seems it might be more affordable. Unless there is a compelling, specific reason for Einstein (very competitive specialty?), I'd lean toward Loyola.
Thank you for the advice! I'm interested in primary care, so not a specific specialty. Either family med or internal

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the US News rankings out of it for a second. The residency director scores are identical - that's all that matters. If this relationship is serious and important to you, you should absolutely go to Loyola. You will be successful at both schools, but from your writing alone you sound more excited for Loyola.

Again, take the US News rankings out of the equation - where would you go? Don't let these arbitrary rankings influence your life in this way. You won't even think about them when you're knee deep in study material from M1-M4.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks all for the input! I am leaning towards loyola, but if anyone that voted for Einstein could let me know their thinking, that'd be super helpful

BTW-- name recognition of loyola is way more significant outside of chicago than you think. You would really be surprised. Every doctor I tell from east to west coast is impressed when I say loyola-- seems like every doc did some sort of rotation in chicago or stint at some point and only have good things to say. Happy to chat about any loyola concerns you may have. Personally, I am very biased but Im happy to give you the biased loyola student perspective.

Reactions: 1 user
BTW-- name recognition of loyola is way more significant outside of chicago than you think. You would really be surprised. Every doctor I tell from east to west coast is impressed when I say loyola-- seems like every doc did some sort of rotation in chicago or stint at some point and only have good things to say. Happy to chat about any loyola concerns you may have. Personally, I am very biased but Im happy to give you the biased loyola student perspective.
hey! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. I am leaning towards Loyola. I’m only hesitant now that STEP will become P/F. Yes, Loyola had good matchings when STEP was scored. But now that it’s becoming P/F, do you think Loyola students will still be competitive at the same residencies as before?

hey! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. I am leaning towards Loyola. I’m only hesitant now that STEP will become P/F. Yes, Loyola had good matchings when STEP was scored. But now that it’s becoming P/F, do you think Loyola students will still be competitive at the same residencies as before?
yes!! and we have great residencies of our own. Why would that change? We have a great reputation around the country. If you want to chat more dm me. Im obviously biased but happy to answer any more qs.

Reactions: 1 user
Ranking is negligible. They’re both mid tier schools. Go to wear it’ll be cheaper or where you’ll be happier. As long as you perform well in school you should be good to pursue whatever specialty You want

+1 for Einstein because with step 1 going P/F its important to consider the connections and reputations more than ever. It may be a tough decision now but it will be worth it in the long run for sure

Your pros sound like you fit more with Loyola. Since you're interested in primary care I don't think Loyola will hold you back in any way, and being with your SO will probably be a happier environment than possibly living with your parents.