1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Einstein and Schizophrenia

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by DrGachet, Jul 30, 2011.

1. DrGachet

Removed

I am reading Einstein's biography and came across something fascinating: his second son had schizophrenia. The few people I have mentioned this to were aware of this already, so maybe this is not news to you either. But it did surprise me. I know his wife had mood disorders but he himself did not have any serious mental illness. Yes, he was the absent-minded professor, living and breathing physics, not very much into his looks, but that's about it. But it just points to the complex genetics of schizophrenia. Einstein himself apparently thought that the son inherited the genes from his wife. Oh, I forgot to add that Einstein was seen as insensitive by some people around, and there are some speculations about possible theory of mind deficits.

#1 DrGachet, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 6SAnthony

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Which biography is it?

4. DrGachet

Removed

Einstein: His Life and Universe by Isaacson

5. Ibid

Ibid Posting total rubbish
    5+ Year Member

Yes, he was studying medicine and was intending to become a psychiatrist.

6. whopper

whopper Former jolly good fellow
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Einstein certainly had some Axis II Cluster A traits. Some of cluster A personality disorders are theorized to be on the psychotic spectrum.

7. DrGachet

Removed

Ibid: Yes, true, he was studying to become a psychiatrist but was diagnosed with schizophrenia in his early 20s. He did not have a good relation with Einstein after that.

Whopper: speaking of eccentricity, I have always found that concept quite elusive. Do you know of any decent assessment tools for measuring eccentricity (not schizotypy in particular)? There are people out there labeled as eccentric specially by others who live very different lives, but I often find that much of their behavior can be explained by their anxieties, intelligence, profession, or environment. I mean to be honest, many driven, intelligent, and curious people can be seen as eccentric to some extent, if you look at how they spend their time, their beliefs and worldview, their social life, etc. I can readily think of plenty of people, be it hockey players, religious folks, scientists, and yes, even plenty of psychiatrists/psychologists who can be labeled as eccentric.

8. whopper

whopper Former jolly good fellow
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The MMPI could be of some help here. It's been awhile, and I'd have to ask my psychologist colleagues, but I do recall it being useful with this.