Einstein Housing ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doogiehowserfan

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was recently accepted by AECOM, and just received the housing application in the mail. When I was visiting I was under the impression that all the students had their own bedrooms, and just shared the common space. However, the application says that there are 2 students/ 1 bedroom apartment, and 3students/ 2 bedroom apartment.
How does that work out - one person gets a single, one person has to share?? Does anyone know anything about this housing set up?
I would really like my own room for Med School!

thanks for the help :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

i think you have the option of getting a wall put up in the common space to create an additional room. I'm not sure if it costs anything extra to get the wall. I thought this was a little weird, but it seemed to work out fine if you don't mind having a small common area.

Members don't see this ad :)
To accomodate all the students, they add an extra person into each apartment. Don't worry.... the apartments are pretty big, so there's a good amount of space left over.

There are two people in a one bedroom, three people in a two bedroom. Everyone gets their own room. In a one bedroom, the living room is converted into a bedroom (a rather large one, too). In a two bedroom, the living room is cut in half to create an extra bedroom.... and you still have a nice sized living room.

Many a party occurs in the two bedroom apartments. You won't be having any parties in the one bedrooms, but the rooms are really large.... just no living room. You could settle for a slightly smaller room and still have a living room.... but you'd have to work that out with your roommates.

The only crappy thing is that the school charges you about $800 to put up these walls if they're not already there. It's a big pain in the butt. If a family moves in, they take down the wall (costs the family $100).... which means the next tenants have to put it back up (costs the next tenant $800). Personally, I think the families should really be footing all this wall moving business....

If you're married you get a studio.... That's what I have. It's so sweet and only $460/month. If you have kids, you can get a one or two bedroom. If you're single, there's a waiting list for studios.... you usually get one by third year. Put yourself on the studio list the minute you get to school!!!

Feel free to PM me for any details about Einstein.

BassDominator said:
If you're single, there's a waiting list for studios.... you usually get one by third year. Put yourself on the studio list the minute you get to school!!!

I got a waiting list application with my housing application form. I was just filling it out but there is a spot that says Bldg.___ Apt. ___. So does this mean I have to select a specific apartment to wait for? Can't I just wait for any ol' studio?
Thanks.

Kimmer said:
I got a waiting list application with my housing application form. I was just filling it out but there is a spot that says Bldg.___ Apt. ___. So does this mean I have to select a specific apartment to wait for? Can't I just wait for any ol' studio? Thanks.
If all else fails I guess I could actually call the housing dept.

It sounds like they want your current apartment number, which is silly because you don't have one yet, right? I guess you have to wait until you get your housing assignment before sending in the waiting list form.

For those who might misconstrue my statement, "Personally, I think the families should foot the bill for this wall moving business", please allow me to clarify:

It costs the family $100 to take down a wall, but the next tenant gets charged $800 to put it back up. That's totally not fair. You're in luck if you're apartment already has a wall, but screwed if a family lived there before.

Don't get me wrong.... I'm totally pro-family, but why should I have to foot the bill for them?

It is a complete rip-off the amount they charge to put up the wall (it should only cost $300 to $400). Also, the housing office is completely incompetent (or at least was until they got rid of the head of the housing office recently).
Also, if you are married without kids you can put yourself on the 1 bedroom waiting list (it takes about 3 years).

The rooms are pretty damn big though for the single people (and good rent). Although the Bronx stinks big time. But you will be too busy studying anyway to enjoy life! :)