Einstein/Montefire Medical Center (NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pureride

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any residents, students that have rotated there or just anyone with info/input/insight???
How is the Gen Surg there?
Prelim vs Categorical treatment?
Call schedule?
Scut?
Atmosphere?
And most important...food?
Thanks
-Jordan

Members don't see this ad.

It is a well respected program with a strong East Coast atmosphere (i.e. formal program) Categoricals are treated better than prelims, many of which are IMGs. Basically, not much operating until R3 (minor cases) with the bulk of OR time as R4 and 5. Einstein has one of the big vascular surgeons (Vieth), which is a plus if vascular is your bag. Jacobi is a city hospital: poor anxillary service, general surg team cares for about 40 pts, and no operating opportunity if not a R4 or R5. Great trauma center, not as an intern. Food sucks at Jacobi (ox tail is common) but there is a McDonalds in the hospital. Kosher food at Weiler (fair), Einstein has a pretty nice selection and meal tickets are provided every where. Scut- you are a scut monkey there! Atmoshere: hierarchical and you feel it. But most residents are pretty damn cool. Call schedule: a lot of q3 and not just as an intern!

You interviewed there. Go with your gut feeling.

Goofyfoot!
Thanks so much for your input!
Very informative.

Are you a resident at Einstein? Did you rotate there?

Actually, I did not interview at the Surgery program there, but since I early matched in an advanced program at that hospital I am required to do my first 2 years of gen surg as a preliiminary there. So, all I know about the program is the one write up on scutwork.com, FREIDA's and your repsonse.

Thank you very much for your input!
:p