Einstein vs Buffalo- Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WBJ718

Reaction score
Einstein pros:
- Ranked 39th( Buffalo 81)
- ? better sense of community living in student housing
- Near NYC
- Seem to have a stronger global health focus in which I'm very interested in

cons:
- More expensive- approximately 60-80,000 over 4 years
- Farther from family and friends
- most students seem to match in NYC area- I may want to return to upstate NY for residency

Buffalo pros:
- Only 1 1/2 hours from home and familiar with UB and the city of Buffalo
- more matches to Upstate NY-specifically U of R
- Cheaper COA

cons:
- not as prestigious
- ? more isolated- many students are from the Buffalo area and may commute?
- state school- probably less interaction with faculty?

Also, I am most interested in Primary Care( but that may change during med school) and I am very interested in community service and helping underserved patient populations.

Members don't see this ad.

I think Einstein has the better reputation and more resources overall, but aligned with your goals, Buffalo can get you where you want to go (i.e. residency in upstate NY), is closer to your support network, and is cheaper to boot.

Though I think you could easily match back upstate from Einstein too - what you're seeing in the match list is student preference.

Reactions: 1 user
I think Einstein has the better reputation and more resources overall, but aligned with your goals, Buffalo can get you where you want to go (i.e. residency in upstate NY), is closer to your support network, and is cheaper to boot.

Though I think you could easily match back upstate from Einstein too - what you're seeing in the match list is student preference.
Thank you for your input!

If you want to do residency/live upstate, definitely go with Buffalo. It's way cheaper, closer to your support system, and PDs upstate already know of Buffalo's reputation. You probably could also match upstate from Einstein, but why pay the extra ~$60,000?

Reactions: 1 user