Einstein vs. Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.strangelove1313

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

Created a new account to preserve anonymity. I currently have these options, along with some others, and would like to narrow it down. Thanks for your thoughts!

Einstein:
+Better reputation than Hofstra by USNews/residency directors
+Close to Manhattan
+Affordable and spacious housing for medical students
+Great research opportunities and a lot of NIH funding
+Liked the students a lot during my interview day
+Good global health opportunities (this seemed to be a big focus)
+Diverse patient population with an opportunity to care for underserved population and see huge range of illness
-Facilities a bit drab (not a big deal, but something I noticed)
-Perhaps not the most exciting area to live in
-Curriculum seems a little bit dated, with perhaps less clinical exposure in Years 1-2 than Hofstra (although if current students could chime in on their experience, that'd be great)
-Students maybe a bit more burnt out seeming than Hofstra's?

Hofstra:
+Beautiful new building
+Huge Northwell hospital system that seems to be expanding year by year- opportunities to rotate in Lenox Hill in Manhattan
+Huge, high tech sim center
+New curriculum is cutting edge and the Dean seems to have a strong vision for the future
+Enthusiastic students during interview day and second look
+Great Step 1 scores
-A little bit concerned about the match list, especially in competitive specialties (although this year's list looked pretty solid and improvement over 2016 and 2015)
-Long Island can be a little bit boring, especially because I'm more of a city person
-"Reputation" not as strong as Einstein
Unsure if + or -: huge emphasis on self-directed learning. Wondering if this ends up being stressful for students who like some structure

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, I'm a student who interviewed at both. I got rejected from Einstein but accepted to Hof but I was gonna withdraw from Einstein anyway because I didn't seem to taken back by it. I am concerned about Hof's ranking but even that didn't dissuade me as much as Einstein did. I don't mean to sound disparaging at all to Einstein. But let me tell you what I wasn't as thrilled about:
I did not like the curriculum as well. By comparison to Hof's amazingly innovative curriculum, Einstein's seemed drab overall to me. I did not like the facilities at all, I agree this is a small part of things but I saw roaches in the bathroom, which immediately turned me off. Again, here I think Hof wins. Also, I was not as intrigued by the clinical sites at Einstein. It seems like they lost a lot of rotation sites when Northwell built their school and so they seem to have more limited rotation sites compared to what they had before.
Of course, Einstein does have very very strong research which is a massive plus. However, Hof does also have cold spring harbor which I hear is a huge research powerhouse.
At the end of the day this is all up to you but I wanted to give my reasons why I ranked Hof higher.

Ok seriously though what were the Step 1 scores at Hofstra? They kept saying they were amazing but they never said what they actually were.

Hi all-

Created a new account to preserve anonymity. I currently have these options, along with some others, and would like to narrow it down. Thanks for your thoughts!

Einstein:
+Better reputation than Hofstra by USNews/residency directors
+Close to Manhattan
+Affordable and spacious housing for medical students
+Great research opportunities and a lot of NIH funding
+Liked the students a lot during my interview day
+Good global health opportunities (this seemed to be a big focus)
+Diverse patient population with an opportunity to care for underserved population and see huge range of illness
-Facilities a bit drab (not a big deal, but something I noticed)
-Perhaps not the most exciting area to live in
-Curriculum seems a little bit dated, with perhaps less clinical exposure in Years 1-2 than Hofstra (although if current students could chime in on their experience, that'd be great)
-Students maybe a bit more burnt out seeming than Hofstra's?

Hofstra:
+Beautiful new building
+Huge Northwell hospital system that seems to be expanding year by year- opportunities to rotate in Lenox Hill in Manhattan
+Huge, high tech sim center
+New curriculum is cutting edge and the Dean seems to have a strong vision for the future
+Enthusiastic students during interview day and second look
+Great Step 1 scores
-A little bit concerned about the match list, especially in competitive specialties (although this year's list looked pretty solid and improvement over 2016 and 2015)
-Long Island can be a little bit boring, especially because I'm more of a city person
-"Reputation" not as strong as Einstein
Unsure if + or -: huge emphasis on self-directed learning. Wondering if this ends up being stressful for students who like some structure
Albert Einstein all the way, better reputation, location, research money and the school have tons of happy students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, I'm a student who interviewed at both. I got rejected from Einstein but accepted to Hof but I was gonna withdraw from Einstein anyway because I didn't seem to taken back by it. I am concerned about Hof's ranking but even that didn't dissuade me as much as Einstein did. I don't mean to sound disparaging at all to Einstein. But let me tell you what I wasn't as thrilled about:
I did not like the curriculum as well. By comparison to Hof's amazingly innovative curriculum, Einstein's seemed drab overall to me. I did not like the facilities at all, I agree this is a small part of things but I saw roaches in the bathroom, which immediately turned me off. Again, here I think Hof wins. Also, I was not as intrigued by the clinical sites at Einstein. It seems like they lost a lot of rotation sites when Northwell built their school and so they seem to have more limited rotation sites compared to what they had before.
Of course, Einstein does have very very strong research which is a massive plus. However, Hof does also have cold spring harbor which I hear is a huge research powerhouse.
At the end of the day this is all up to you but I wanted to give my reasons why I ranked Hof higher.
Appreciate your thoughts!

Is this that high? I probably don't know much but isn't the average already 230? Where does Hof rank among other schools with respect to this average?
IDK. A comparable school would be Emory, with a GPA/MCAT of 3.7/34 compared to Hofstra's 3.74/34.

Same average Step 1 score (236).

Edit: Been looking through the various Step 1 scores. 236 does seem rather high. UCSD's is 234 and Mt. Sinai's is 233.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to add to what some of my classmates stated about Einstein. I obviously have not attended any other medical schools but from friends at other schools, I can safely say that the collegial environment we have here is unmatched. I think it's due to A) the TRUE pass fail curriculum we have B) the wonderful job our adcom does picking students who are extremely well rounded, friendly, and non-extreme type A C) the fact that we all live together and truly get to know each other.

I had an amazing time in college and was honestly slightly dreading what I had heard about med school being isolating since everyone does their own thing. Not the case here at Einstein. I literally can walk across the hall and hang out with friends at any time of day and that truly makes this place one of a kind.

Academically, I'm sure you all know that with the partnership with Montefiore, Einsteins reputation on the east coast is extremely strong and our match list speaks for itself. Faculty are extremely receptive to research inquiries or just class requests in general (moving exams, extra study time, etc)

In terms of proximity to downtown Manhattan. It's all up to you. I personally go in around 3-4 times a week. Sometimes just to study at the Rose Reading Room in Midtown (definetly go there) and other times to grab dinner with friends on weeknights. It's super accessible and I have never felt isolated living here in the Bronx (plus the food here is amazing + cheaper)

Also in terms of shadowing during preclinical, having the ability to literally walk from your room to Weiler hospital in <5 min makes shadowing so easy (I've gone in between classes). So if you want any of that, it's allll there at your fingertips.

Super long post, I know. But that just speaks to how much I enjoy it here. Very few schools offer a social atmosphere that Einstein offers and match that with the reputation the school has + NYC and you can't go wrong.

You guys are all amazing and don't let any rejection or outcome define you. To everyone accepted or will be accepted, definetly don't let a bad interview day experience decide for you (for any school). Talk to current students, take a second visit if you can, and keep your values and goals in mind. If you choose Einstein though, you definetly will have made an Amazing decision and will come out of here being an excellent clinician and make some genuine life long friendships.
This ! Einstein is a amazing school , dont think Hofstra is in its league

This ! Einstein is a amazing school , dont think Hofstra is in its league
I think this isn't quite true. I actually find that they are increasingly being viewed as comparable schools. Hofstras affiliation with Northwell actually siphoned many of the affiliated hospitals of einstein (like LIJ), my interviewer even told me this. Also, I believe hofstras curriculum is a huge plus to it as a school meanwhile Einstein will be transitioning to a new curriculum in the coming years. It's a fine school as well but I wouldn't conclude it's out of its league

I think this isn't quite true. I actually find that they are increasingly being viewed as comparable schools. Hofstras affiliation with Northwell actually siphoned many of the affiliated hospitals of einstein (like LIJ), my interviewer even told me this. Also, I believe hofstras curriculum is a huge plus to it as a school meanwhile Einstein will be transitioning to a new curriculum in the coming years. It's a fine school as well but I wouldn't conclude it's out of its league
Reputation wise, research wise and the fact einstein been doing this a much longer means to be einstein is out of its league. Hof needs to play catch up with downstate and stony first to be comparable to einstein and graduate more classes. It's affiliation with northwell is huge but not enough to suddenly be comparable to einstein. Good school non the less

Last edited:
Reputation wise, research wise and the fact einstein been doing this a much longer means to be einstein is out of its league. Hof needs to play catch up with downstate and stony first to be comparable to einstein and graduate more classes. It's affiliation with northwell is huge but not enough to suddenly be comparable to einstein. Good school non the less
I guess we'll agree to disagree. I interviewed at both and personally found that if I were blinded Hof would have been the top 40 school. I think Hof has already caught up to Stony and Downstate, actually. It attracts higher stats applicants, its step score is high, and its match lists are very strong

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I interviewed at both and personally found that if I were blinded Hof would have been the top 40 school. I think Hof has already caught up to Stony and Downstate, actually. It attracts higher stats applicants, its step score is high, and its match lists are very strong

Hofstra is definitely an excellent school, but Einstein is ranked much higher (#35 for Einstein vs #71 for Hofstra). That isn't insignificant and from what I've been told, Einstein has a stronger reputation in academic medicine.

Hofstra is definitely an excellent school, but Einstein is ranked much higher (#35 for Einstein vs #71 for Hofstra). That isn't insignificant and from what I've been told, Einstein has a stronger reputation in academic medicine.
For someone who sawboth schools, I do not think the ranking is indicative of the quality. Sure, Hofstra is new but it's got much better facilities and a very strong curriculum. It's backed by a power health system (or so I've heard) with research connections at Cold Spring Harbor.

For someone who sawboth schools, I do not think the ranking is indicative of the quality. Sure, Hofstra is new but it's got much better facilities and a very strong curriculum. It's backed by a power health system (or so I've heard) with research connections at Cold Spring Harbor.
Meh I interviewed at all these schools (Hofstra, stony, Einstein, downstate) and I wasn't really sold by Hofstra. I don't think it's match list, while good for a new school, even comes close to comparing to Downstates let alone Einstein.

The only situation to choose Hofstra here is if you truly think their curriculum will let you thrive more in school or they offer extraordinary aid.

Meh I interviewed at all these schools (Hofstra, stony, Einstein, downstate) and I wasn't really sold by Hofstra. I don't think it's match list, while good for a new school, even comes close to comparing to Downstates let alone Einstein.

The only situation to choose Hofstra here is if you truly think their curriculum will let you thrive more in school or they offer extraordinary aid.
Well, they match students into all specialties and from what I have heard, match lists should not be taken as the strongest indicator of a school. However, the fact that they match into all specialties should say that it's reputation is surely not constraining anyone's choice.

I didn't clearly understand Hofstra's preclinical curriculum but their lecture vs case based learning balance is something notable. Overall atmosphere of Hofstra seemed meh. Students were pretty chill and straightforward but a few seemed like they weren't the happiest with living situation, esp. when rotations began. Faculty also wasn't very warm and seemed too distant for my liking. Gave me the impression that they didn't care. I saw only a few students outside of lunch and the people just didn't seem very excited or engaged at Hofstra compared to Einstein. Faculty was VERY warm, students were so open and genuine. Definitely a friendly dynamic between students and living situation was much more convenient.

Einstein wins out pretty hard, not even considering the more established reputation it has. Hofstra is an up-and-comer but it will be a while until it is able to reach a school like Einstein.