Einstein vs Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed3032

Reaction score
Hello Fellow SDNers. I was recently accepted off the waitlist and need to make a decision between these two schools in the next two days.

Einstein

Pros:
recorded lectures
excellent research opportunities
cheap housing
global health programs
living in NYC?
P/F

Cons
Bronx
Possible curriculum change?

Rochester

Pros
Slightly higher ranked
Biopsychosocial model
Also excellent research opportunities
P/F

Cons
No recorded lectures (although detailed syllabus)

Assume cost to attend both is the same. I had never even visited the state of New York prior to my interviews so I am not sure what to expect but I grew up on the west coast. Would love some input from you guys. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Einstein...cheap housing? Sweetie, I can tell you for a fact that you’re being scammed. It took me 17 years to get away from the Bronx...and I cherish each and every second of freedom. Go to Rochester!

I went to school at NYU, so not too far from the Bronx... the Bronx is actually not a bad option from the perspective of a medical student, very busy ERs and diverse patient population, you get to see a lot. Also a lot cheaper to live in than Manhattan, but you are still close to Manhattan and can tap into the amazing research network here if you can find a good opportunity. Rochester isn't a bad place to live, it's really boring for the scarce free time that you have as a medical student. I would not worry about the rankings that much, they are pretty closely ranked and the difference is negligible. If COA is the same, I would probably go with the Bronx... just because the networking opportunities are better and you are a short 40-45 min subway ride from midtown Manhattan

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to school at NYU, so not too far from the Bronx... the Bronx is actually not a bad option from the perspective of a medical student, very busy ERs and diverse patient population, you get to see a lot. Also a lot cheaper to live in than Manhattan, but you are still close to Manhattan and can tap into the amazing research network here if you can find a good opportunity. Rochester isn't a bad place to live, it's really boring for the scarce free time that you have as a medical student. I would not worry about the rankings that much, they are pretty closely ranked and the difference is negligible. If COA is the same, I would probably go with the Bronx... just because the networking opportunities are better and you are a short 40-45 min subway ride from midtown Manhattan

also forgot to add, when it is 25 degrees outside and snowing, you will really want those recorded lectures... I am from SoCal, so snow was brand new to me and I never left the apartment for lecture if it was snowing... recorded lectures are very valuable

Reactions: 1 users
I loved loved loved Rochester. Would've gone but had a lower CoA from a higher ranked NYC school. Still would've gone had they matched it. Great community vibes throughout. If you are a classroom learner, I'd go that way. If you are more independent go to NYC.

Email admissions and see if they can connect you with current students, preferably upperclassmen. I think both are great schools, so the finer detail available from student testimony will probably be pretty useful in narrowing things down. I did interview at both, so I did have some idea of how to compare the schools relative to one another. Rochester is in a medium sized city that is pretty much the biggest cultural center within 6+ hours driving. This comes with its advantages and disadvantages. CoL is cheaper, the area is less crowded, air quality is good/you can actually see the stars at night if you go a bit outside the city. You will need a car to be able to get anywhere though, both for your clerkships and for leisure activities. And having lived in upstate NY, I can personally attest to the fact that winters there are absolutely ruthless.

Einstein obviously has closer proximity to NYC; this could either be a pro or con depending on your personality. Academically speaking there isn't much of a difference between the schools. The biopsychosocial model is pretty much a thing at all schools these days, and neither has an appreciable advantage over the other in terms of reputation. For me personally, the high amount of mandatory activities at Rochester was a bit of a turn-off. I remember the two week sample schedule they gave us showed students in class/PBL/preceptorship from 8am up to as late as 5pm, and according to current students this wasn't an entirely uncommon occurrence. I can definitely see why some people would like a little more structure, though. Finally, IIRC, Einstein does not make public their student's rankings on the MSPE, while Rochester does indicate either a student's quartile or quintile (as to how rankings are actually calculated, you're better off asking a current student).

You haven't told us much about yourself or what is personally important to you. Where did you get a better in-person feel?

Reactions: 1 user
I was admitted to both and if I had to decide between the two I'd probably choose Rochester (mandatory lecture is almost a deal breaker though). Both interview days were nice but the faculty/students and interviewees at Rochester were really amazing and friendly. As opposed to Einstein, my interviewer was amazing and did a great job selling the school but the students were less than, also idk if it was just my interview day but everyone I talked to was not all that interested in research (which I found odd considering they match well and have funding). While Rochester isn't NYC/SF/LA I preferred that to the Bronx by a large margin, I stayed at both cities for a week to get a feel for the East Coast and idk where you're from but given the choice I would elect not to live in the Bronx, especially where the school is located, for four years despite it's proximity to the other boroughs.

Thank you guys for all your help! This was a super hard decision but i ended up deciding on Einstein. My interview day at Rochester was amazing and everyone was so nice. The no recorded lectures was a deal breaker for me though. I can’t imagine waking up at 7am to go outside de-ice my windshield and shovel my driveway just to go to lecture (i’m from SoCal). I also spoke to a recent Rochester grad and he agreed with my decision. I clicked very well with my interviewer and the students at Einstein, and I feel it would make a better fit overall. To sweeten it all, they gave me a decent aid offer. Thank you guys once again

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you guys for all your help! This was a super hard decision but i ended up deciding on Einstein. My interview day at Rochester was amazing and everyone was so nice. The no recorded lectures was a deal breaker for me though. I can’t imagine waking up at 7am to go outside de-ice my windshield and shovel my driveway just to go to lecture (i’m from SoCal). I also spoke to a recent Rochester grad and he agreed with my decision. I clicked very well with my interviewer and the students at Einstein, and I feel it would make a better fit overall. To sweeten it all, they gave me a decent aid offer. Thank you guys once again

Sounds like you made a good choice for you! Enjoy!