EK 1001 BIOLOGY Questions/Answers Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bernoull

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started this Thread because a lot of MCATers use the EK 1001 series and frequently ask questions, however the questions are all over the place as opposed to one specific thread. There's something similar for EK VR 101 and it's great..
I think a One-Stop-Shop for those using EK 1001 BIOLOGY will make asking/answering questions more user-friendly and reduce the number of redundant questions.

It will be great if other EK Bio 1001 threads could be migrated over here.

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of merging, I think 95% of the threads I've started in this forum are EK 1001 bio Qs...

In terms of merging, I think 95% of the threads I've started in this forum are EK 1001 bio Qs...

The MODs can definitely help with thread migration and I'm hoping they do...
What is have in mind as far as organization is the same format as EK Forums where everything is sorted by "Book>Lecture>Q&A". I'm not sure if we can have subthreads within this thread - one for each Lecture bcos that will make life even better.

For now, anyone posting questions, please include Lecture# and Question#..

It really annoys me that I can't access the errata forum or post questions anywhere on the EK forums without paying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok: I have two BIO 1001 questions.

The first is from section 2, #143: "According to the passage, which of the following proteins would be coded by a polycistrionic mRNA?"

The answer given was (B) Krebs cycle enzyme, NAD+ synthase, mitochondrial inner membrane channel.

But prokaryotes don't have mitochondria ... According to the answer "In prokaryotes, the ATPase and the electron transport chain are located inside the cytoplasmic membrane between the hydrophobic tails of the phospholipid membrane inner and outer walls. (I picked D for this question, simply because it seemed to me to be the only answer choice that involved *only* prokaryotic proteins.) Was this a typo, or am I missing something here?

The second is from the same section, #165: Which of the following DNA lesions will NOT result in a frame shift mutation?
A. 1 missing base pair
B. 2 altered base pairs
C. 3 deleted base pairs
D. 2 inserted base pairs

The answer was (B), which I understand. But even in their explanation they say "a 3 pair addition or deletion will cause an in-frame mutation, but not a frameshift mutation." Again, am I missing something, or is C as correct per the question as B is?

Thanks!

The first is from section 2, #143: "According to the passage, which of the following proteins would be coded by a polycistrionic mRNA?"

The answer given was (B) Krebs cycle enzyme, NAD+ synthase, mitochondrial inner membrane channel.

But prokaryotes don't have mitochondria ... According to the answer "In prokaryotes, the ATPase and the electron transport chain are located inside the cytoplasmic membrane between the hydrophobic tails of the phospholipid membrane inner and outer walls. (I picked D for this question, simply because it seemed to me to be the only answer choice that involved *only* prokaryotic proteins.) Was this a typo, or am I missing something here?

What they wanted here was for you to recognize that polycistronic mRNAs contain genes with similar functions. The only answer option that gives that is the 'correct' one. However, it's a dumb answer, because if a prokaryote doesn't have a mitochondria, it doesn't have a mito membrane, and thus will never make a mito membrane channel.

The second is from the same section, #165: Which of the following DNA lesions will NOT result in a frame shift mutation?
A. 1 missing base pair
B. 2 altered base pairs
C. 3 deleted base pairs
D. 2 inserted base pairs

The answer was (B), which I understand. But even in their explanation they say "a 3 pair addition or deletion will cause an in-frame mutation, but not a frameshift mutation." Again, am I missing something, or is C as correct per the question as B is?

Thanks!

The problem with C is that the ONLY time it does NOT result in a frame shift mutation is if the 3 deleted bases are all in a row, and are all the same codon. If you have RNA like:

AUG CCA UAG AAC UGA

Deleting 'CCA' will not cause a frameshift mutation. However, deleting 'G CC' will, or 'CA U', and so will deleting 3 NTs are random from 3 different positions in the message.

Altering bps is the best answer because an alteration will NEVER cause a frame shift mutation unless it's an alteration that causes a stop-codon or something weird.