EK 101 Verbal vs. the real thing (kind of)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giantswing

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I was wondering if anyone else had trouble with going from the written passages in the verbal EK books to reading them on the computer screen. I'm getting mostly 9s with the occasional 8 and 10 in the EK 101 book, but when I take a practice MCAT on the computer (the AMCAS ones) I get a 7 or 8 at best. The real ones seem a lot harder to me, but that doesn't seem to be the general trend here.
Any thoughts on how to improve? I try to avoid writing on the EKs as you won't be able to do that on the real test.

Members don't see this ad.

MY strategy for verbal is a little bit of all the helpful hints from EK, as well as some personal stuff I found helpful.

I really like using the Main Idea method, which relates every question back to the main idea. This usually helps narrow some questions down and eliminate answers.

Also, I tend to look out for answers that seem too radical, controversial, or subjective. Try and stick with whats given to you. It seems as after I go through the solutions, all the ones i got wrong were explained to me using quotes from the actual passage.

In short, Use what youre given, stick with the main idea, and Stay confident.

Good Luck,

I like the EK method, I recently got a TPRH verbal book and it told me to skip passages and guess on the "hard" ones...sounds pretty stupid to me. My biggest problem with VR is getting the main idea I guess, I am getting around 9 and 10s on the EK 101 too. I think EK has the method down, just perfecting it is a challenge.