EK Bio 1001

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Revilla

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going over passage 208 again. Is #177 a typo or is there something I'm not getting?

According to the passage, which of the following tumors will not respond well to chemotherapy that uses anti-cancer drugs?

(a) white blood cell secreting lymphoma
(b) rock-hard breast mass
(c) encapsulated brain tumor
(d) non-metastatic slow-growing skin cancer

The answer is A, but that's the one that will respond to chemotherapy, right? Is the word "not" just a typo?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I think white-blood cell secreting lymphomas would respond to chemotherapy.

This seems like a really detailed question for the MCAT. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm going over passage 208 again. Is #177 a typo or is there something I'm not getting?

According to the passage, which of the following tumors will not respond well to chemotherapy that uses anti-cancer drugs?

(a) white blood cell secreting lymphoma
(b) rock-hard breast mass
(c) encapsulated brain tumor
(d) non-metastatic slow-growing skin cancer

The answer is A, but that's the one that will respond to chemotherapy, right? Is the word "not" just a typo?

Yeah I think white-blood cell secreting lymphomas would respond to chemotherapy.

This seems like a really detailed question for the MCAT. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thats why it seems like a really detailed question....you are supposed to get the answer from the passage (which we dont have)

I think it depends on what the passage says about "anti-cancer drugs". Some anti-cancer drugs are actually immunotherapeutic; they promote the immune system to kill immunogenic cancer cells. Since A is a white blood cells tumor that is secreting antibodies, if the passage says anything about anti-cancer drugs working to promote the immune system, then A is definitely the right choice as giving immune promoting drugs would exacerbate a secreting white blood cell tumor (because its part of the immune system) not shrink it. <==This is all speculative, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats why it seems like a really detailed question....you are supposed to get the answer from the passage (which we dont have)

Yeah, I know people without the book can't really give a definitive answer. I was hoping someone who has the book could look over that passage and let me know if my interpretation of that question is correct.

I'm really just trying to understand each and every question whether I got it right or wrong, and this one seemed strange to me if the word "not" isn't a typo.

Yeah, I know people without the book can't really give a definitive answer. I was hoping someone who has the book could look over that passage and let me know if my interpretation of that question is correct.

I'm really just trying to understand each and every question whether I got it right or wrong, and this one seemed strange to me if the word "not" isn't a typo.

Yea i feel ya, I was just trying to explain to the other poster why the question seemed so detailed. That would never be a stand a lone question.

You are doin the right thing, keep it up and youll rock the MCAT :thumbup:

Yea i feel ya, I was just trying to explain to the other poster why the question seemed so detailed. That would never be a stand a lone question.
Yeah I was so confused, it seemed so detailed, then I realized by your post it says "according to the passage"... makes much more sense now.

I have the EK 1001 but don't want to look at the passage until I do that section... I will get back to you with my thoughts once I do it tho, and remind me if I don't!

Bumping this for an answer.

The explanation in the back of the book says that A is the only cancer that WILL respond well to chemotherapy, but the question asks which one will NOT respond well. Has anyone decided that the NOT must have been a typo?