EK Verbal 101

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studliness

half man, half amazing
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently picked up EK Verbal 101 and it's divided into eleven 85-min MCAT verbal exams. With the current MCAT having a 60-min verbal section, what's the best way to prepare with this? Just do a couple passages at a time? Only do 7 passages instead of 9?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

no, the number of questions are different. i did all 9 passages in the time given (i think 85 mins).

My suggestion would be to do all of them in 75ish minutes, because the passages i had were alot longer than what i was expecting. LIke I am saying 10 -20 lines longer

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I recently picked up EK Verbal 101 and it's divided into eleven 85-min MCAT verbal exams. With the current MCAT having a 60-min verbal section, what's the best way to prepare with this? Just do a couple passages at a time? Only do 7 passages instead of 9?

Thanks!

I second amwatts. Do all the passages but in 75-80 min(at the most). The passages on the real thing are longer. I would consistently finish Ek passages with 8-10 min to spare. But on the real thing was cutting it very close.
As a side note, the EK passages are a little easier to read. There are a few certain types of passages/ topics on the AAMC MCAT. I didnt see those on EK. You'll see if you take a couple of AAMC practice tests..

I've been working through the EK 101 Verbal tests in their entirety (9 passages, 80-85 min), however I'm still not sure if this is the best way to go to prepare for the current MCAT Verbal section (60 minutes, 7 passages).

They really should update this book with regard to the current MCAT format.

Has anyone changed the way they approach the verbal tests in this book, in preparation for the current computer-based MCAT?

I've been working through the EK 101 Verbal tests in their entirety (9 passages, 80-85 min), however I'm still not sure if this is the best way to go to prepare for the current MCAT Verbal section (60 minutes, 7 passages).

They really should update this book with regard to the current MCAT format.

Has anyone changed the way they approach the verbal tests in this book, in preparation for the current computer-based MCAT?
Do most of them full length, to build up your endurance. Save a few and only do 40 questions on them to get used to the real thing/

My suggestion would be to do all of them in 75ish minutes, because the passages i had were alot longer than what i was expecting. LIke I am saying 10 -20 lines longer

Agree. The passages were longer than any AAMC practice test on my real exam as well. Practice for speed and accuracy. Keep cutting down the amount of time you give yourself per passage to train yourself to do them faster, but with the same accuracy.