EK Verbal 30 min Lecture Exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trobin28

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just scored miserably on each of the 30 min exams in the back ofEK and I just wanted to know how anyone else has performed and are these similar to the real thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Me too. I'm very disappointed after doing well on a Kaplan half test and AAMC 3R. I just finished the last 30 minute exam a few minutes ago... It's funny that I did worse with each one because I thought I was understanding the passages better.

I still have the 12 full length verbal exams from the 101 book, so hopefully I'll get a little better in the next four weeks.

I agree with you. How bad did you actually do because for some people 9-10 is bad. Well, let me start:

1st lecture exam: 4
2nd lecture exam: 8
3rd lecture exam: 6

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Please don't harass me....

I haven't done any verbal yet. I know they said I can't learn their method in 4 weeks, but I think that's bs. All these threads of people getting scared of the VR is rubbing off on me.

Edit: How have your averages on Bio/Physics/etc compared to the verbal? I'm interesting to know if a high science will usually match with a low verbal...

Members don't see this ad :)
I went Lec 1: 7
Lec 2: 5
Lec 3: 4 Pretty bad by anyone's standards
I took the 2nd one yeserday, and got really bumbed by the score. So, naturally today i had to do another to redeem myself and ended up completely bufooning it. i think taking a day between would've been better. It seems you can really psych yourself out while doing verbal, that is, thinking about strategies, techniques, taking breaks at appropriate places, constructing main ideas, and reading into question stems and answers instead of focusing solely on what you are trying to read. So I'm waiting to see if once you can move past these things to the point where you are just doing them subconciously. Right now i really do feel like its hard to concentrate since I'm thinking about how to approach it.

pezzang said:
I agree with you. How bad did you actually do because for some people 9-10 is bad. Well, let me start:

1st lecture exam: 4
2nd lecture exam: 8
3rd lecture exam: 6

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Please don't harass me....

hey it's ok--you still have plenty of time for more practice!! :)

trobin28 said:
I've just scored miserably on each of the 30 min exams in the back ofEK and I just wanted to know how anyone else has performed and are these similar to the real thing.

Don't worry, I got a 5 on the last one. I have been getting 9 and 10's on the EK 101 verbals though.

I was just wondering how to calculate your score on the lecture exams. I got a 12/21 on the 1st lecture. My score page is gone (used book), so what does that equate to on an MCAT scale? Thanks

Oh man I'm glad I'm not the only one. That third passage about Mephistopheles on the third exam was murder. I got only 2/7 of those questions right. Funny thing was I felt like I really understood it.

Exam 1: 8
Exam 2: 10
Exam 3: 7 :(

I was just wondering how to calculate your score on the lecture exams. I got a 12/21 on the 1st lecture. My score page is gone (used book), so what does that equate to on an MCAT scale? Thanks

I wish I could help you out here, but I don't have that book anymore. Anyone else?

Raw Score / Estimated Scale score
23 / 15
22 / 14
21 / 13
19-20 / 12
18 / 11
16-17 / 10
15 / 9
13-14 / 8
12 / 7
10-11 / 6
9 / 5
7-8 / 4

You'll notice that there are only 21 questions but a max raw score of 23. I think this is an error on EK's part. In their physics book (I'm using the 5th edition), there are 23 questions for a max raw score of 23.

So what you can do is take your % correct and multiply by 23 for your raw score and apply it to the scale.