EK Verbal Strategies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aye

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All. I ordered the EK Verbal and Math review book but its taking forever for Amazon to ship it! Can anyone tell me the main strategies that EK emphasizes for verbal cuz I wanna get started on practicing it ASAP. BTW, i took the first test in EK 101 Passages and got a 5... without any strategy... hopefully that'll turn into double digits.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry about it. I got a 6 on my first TPR diag, then got a 4 and was receiving 6's for about 2 weeks on AAMC tests. I got the EK verbal about a week ago and took my first practice out of the 101 passages book. Got a 9 on it and took a practice the other day and got another 9. I figured I had nothing to lose (I was getting a 6) and did everything EK said to do. It seems to be working, the results don't lie.
Good Luck,
theunc31

I only got the 101V book. From the intro. they said basically to get used to the anatomy of MCAT verbal. They also emphasized that practice makes perfect because the Verbal is more or less a test of skill, therefore the more you practice the more skillful you become. I gotta tell u it works. So far I did five exams and got 9,9,9,10,11. On the TPR diags, I barely got above a 8, think I got 11 once but that was luck. I use some of the TPR strategies, i.e. getting down the tone and main idea. I discarded their "good reading is swift reading" strategy because it took too much time later on and sometimes I didn't get the actual point of the passage. I read a little slower now and I usually skip a passage that I can tell is gonna take a lot of time or is a severly complicated reading.