EKG question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lasek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reviewing cardio phys, and made a stupid observation. You never see an atrial repolarization wave. So why dont you see it when someone has some abnormally long PR interval or atrio-ventricular dissociation, like say 2nd or 3rd degree block? Is it just to small to be seen? Or is there some other reason?

Members don't see this ad.

lasek said:
I've been reviewing cardio phys, and made a stupid observation. You never see an atrial repolarization wave. So why dont you see it when someone has some abnormally long PR interval or atrio-ventricular dissociation, like say 2nd or 3rd degree block? Is it just to small to be seen? Or is there some other reason?

It is too small to see either way I think. I have seen many with A-V Dissoc and 3rd degree blocks and have yet to notice the atrial repolarization wave. Not that it would be significant either way, when you have many other pressing issues to manage.

yeah, i'd say, compare the QRS wave size to the T wave....way smaller in repol. So atrial repol is probably as small in comparison to that.