elective in Africa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc2008

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an awesome opportunity to be sponsored to a country as part of a medical mission program. I am having difficulty choosing between two countries. I have narrowed it to Zambia and Tanzania but would like input from those of you with experience in these countries in order to make my final decision. The hospitals recommended thus far in each of the countries include:

Tanzania: Selian Lutheran Hospital in Arusha

Zambia: Mukinge Hospital

If you have experience with other hospitals in the countries which have physicians who serve as teaching physicians or would offer great learning opportunities, please let me know.
My research on these countries via the internet and questioning facutly has been extremely limited in usefulness.
I am an African American female who only speaks english (in case these are factors). Please reply if you need additional information. Your prompt response is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

Well this was posted in January its now March lol. But yeah.
I am currently a first year medical student in Tanzania, first year. I am at the huber Kairuki Memorial University.
Well there have been teaching physicians here from abroad,we also recently we had visiting students fourth year from the Netherlands i think it was.
So naturallly i'd tell you that Tanzania is a great choice.

Anyways if u have any further questions and if i can be of any help to you in anyway just ask away!:)

Woooopsie daisy! LOL! My bad,that wasn't posted on January but on March 11th, lol! Looks like someone needs some sleep!:sleep: :D

I am currently rotating at Livingstone General Hospital in Livingstone, Zambia. My residency has an established program here with funding provided by Johnson & Johnson.

Although Livingstone is a large tourist town, its hospital still lacks a lot of resources. There are no ventilators, no CT scanners, and we even ran out of IV cannulas and x-ray films the other day. There are limited medicines available here.

I think you would have a better experience in Livingstone because you would see more patients. However, the teaching here is limited as they primarily need physicians -- not students -- here due to a physician shortage. Therefore, if you rotated here as a student, you may be seeing patients on your own.