Elective rotation Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bob13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
nevermind.. no one answered anyways!!

Members don't see this ad.

aww i was just about to answer it

well let me curbside JackofKnives (or any other neurosurg hotshot) while I still have the chance.
I'm an MS3 going into Internal Medicine, and I have a neurosurgery elective next month. I need advice on the best book/resource to use for preparation for this elective (keeping in mind that I'm not interested in a career in neurosurgery, I just wanted to get insight into the field). I am mainly looking for something that goes over the basics of clinical neuroanatomy and surgical/medical management of "bread and butter" neurosurgical cases.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
well let me curbside JackofKnives (or any other neurosurg hotshot) while I still have the chance.
I'm an MS3 going into Internal Medicine, and I have a neurosurgery elective next month. I need advice on the best book/resource to use for preparation for this elective (keeping in mind that I'm not interested in a career in neurosurgery, I just wanted to get insight into the field). I am mainly looking for something that goes over the basics of clinical neuroanatomy and surgical/medical management of "bread and butter" neurosurgical cases.

Thanks

Greenberg

Greenberg

Greenberg is good, though probably more of an investment than you're looking for if your just doing a short rotation-it's 80 or 90 bucks. If you can borrow it from a classmate or even the dept, it'll be worth it. Surgical Recall has a litte neurosurg in it, and there's a chapter on neurosurg in the Lawrence "Essentials of Surgical Specialties". Probably the best thing to do is to ask your residents what you can borrow from the dept.
good luck

thanks for the advice. i managed to borrow Greenberg from our med school library. i was told that our elective involves a lot of image reading, so I was wondering if you guys would recommend looking through a neuro-radiology book to get some bearings (especially since I haven't taken my radiology elective yet)?????

amazon seems to recommend the following book, any comments?
'Neurosurgery Explained: A Basic and Essential Introduction'

Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases is an excellent book! It's not a surgical text, but great for the bread-and-butter of clinical neuroanatomy! But it's kinda pricey too...borrow from a friend or library! :thumbup: