Electives for OB/GYN bound student

Started by dkwyler94
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dkwyler94

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unfortunatly, I don't really have an advisor in setting up my fourth year schedule. My school doesn't have a whole lot of flexibility in the fourth year. It is a DO family practice focused school, so they try to filter us all that way.

What I have set up are two L&D rotations at Uof Hawaii and Ohio State U. These are two of my top choices for residency.

I am trying to decided if I should do a third OB/GYN rotation early on to get a little more experience prior to these "audition rotations" and to get a fourth year letter of rec. I do have my third year preceptor who would write me a strong letter.

Unfortunatly, I am unable to fit in a Gen. Surgery rotation due to all the other requirements for my school. I have a required FP, IM subI, neurology, ICU, peds, and ENT.

For medical electives I can choose two from any medical specialty. I am considering endocrinology, infectious disease, nephrology, or Hem/Onc.

Any thoughts?
1. Should I do an extra OB/GYN rotation prior to my "audition rotations"? (total of 3 OB/GYN).
2. Recommendations on two rotations in medicine/sub-specialties?

Thank you for your thoughts.
David
 
You don't have to take general surgery as a core?

Make sure you get exposure to gyn surgery as well. I hated L&D but I really enjoyed gyn surg. So you can imagine how distinct the two sides of this field are. It would behoove you to see both sides in order to see how well your fit is with the OBGYN world. Check out gynonc as well. Its a great field.

Take the USMLE and land yourself some good letters.

Vent
 
hey! i just asked my advisor & another faculty member the same questions. both of them told me (separately) that if you're 100% sure you want to do ob/gyn, don't even take ob/gyn at all, except to go to potential residency sites to check them out. i then asked them if i should get some more ob/gyn practice so i don't look like a *******, (my oh so wonderful 3rd year rotation allowed me to deliver the bottom 1/2 of a baby, and a whole placenta) and they said that away rotations don't expect you to know it all - just work hard, be interested in learning & in their program, and get along with the staff/residents/nurses. they mentioned taking a sicu rotation or cardiology or something that would further my knowledge of things less specific to ob/gyn that would still help you in ob/gyn. hope this is helpful. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
my OB/Gyn advisor told me that doing extra OB/Gyn rotations will help you in your first 2 months of internship, but doing rotations in other areas (ie. medicine electives - ID, cardiology, rheumatology etc.) will make you a better overall doctor. just a thought...
 
For my electives I did:

OB Sub I
Gyn & MFM (1/2 and 1/2)
Surg Path
Autopsy
PM&R
Neuro
GI

In retrospect, the MFM month was a saviour as I got alot of Sono practice in. Although you take Sono in Year 1, its usually not for a couple of months and you're life'll be easier in the middle of the night in the ER with a Sono machine and a rule/out Ectopic. Other rotations that will help you out would be Endocrine (Diabetes), Infectious Disease (You name it, Ob pts have it), Neuro (comes in more handy than you'd believe), ER, ICU or SICU.

Good Luck!
 
You need to do a general surgery month!!!!!! It will be looked at by all OB programs you apply to. As far as not doing an OB rotation in year 4 you'll be asked how do you know that you are interested. Good rotations to do MFM I agree also REI (reproductive endocrinology). Also ask to visit programs and observe an on-night call to see what you're in for.

Good luck
Diane