Electives for Sports Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tchien100

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi y'all, FM intern here. Just wanted to get a head start in planning electives. Do any of you guys know roughly how many months of sports medicine experience is expected/required when applying? I've heard roughly 2-3 months is the norm. Can anybody vouch for this?
 
I only had 6 weeks elective time all of residency and I did sports med for the 6 weeks and it worked out for me. But my residency wasn't FM so I had less elective time.
 
The SM requirement in FM is around 2-4 weeks. You need to do more than the required rotation, so basically another month or so. I would also suggest to do the elective in the fall of your 2nd year, when sports medicine is its busiest (football season). Also SM doesn't have to be limited to your rotation, since sports is year round. Be proactive in helping out with school physicals and game/event coverage.