This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ronaldo7

Dr Strange
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looks like we don't have an SM thread for this cycle yet! How many programs are you guys planning to sending applications to?
 
Beat me to starting it!

I'm thinking at least 30, but likely more. Non-trad applicant this year, I've been out in the real world for about a decade as an attending. But I've been planning on this with coverage and shadowing for about 2 years now. It's been a long road, but Im ready for it!

How many are you planning on applying to?
 
Question about the application - I took and passed all of my COMLEX steps on the first try, I'll obviously need to include those. And Im board certified in my specialty. I also took step 1 and 2 of the USMLE. Should I include my USMLE score from a decade ago, or just the COMLEX? Thoughts?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Beat me to starting it!

I'm thinking at least 30, but likely more. Non-trad applicant this year, I've been out in the real world for about a decade as an attending. But I've been planning on this with coverage and shadowing for about 2 years now. It's been a long road, but Im ready for it!

How many are you planning on applying to?
I am thinking about 20, maybe I should increase it to 30. How are you selecting which 30 to apply? Geography, or are you looking for a specific thing in the fellowships?
I am also a non-trad. Been in the real world for about 4 years now. Has been difficult to find a practicing SM physician to shadow as an attending. I shadowed in the orthopedic group, which staffs my hospital.
It's gonna be difficult!
 
I am thinking about 20, maybe I should increase it to 30. How are you selecting which 30 to apply? Geography, or are you looking for a specific thing in the fellowships?
I am also a non-trad. Been in the real world for about 4 years now. Has been difficult to find a practicing SM physician to shadow as an attending. I shadowed in the orthopedic group, which staffs my hospital.
It's gonna be difficult!
I have a spreadsheet of all of the programs that will accept my specialty (hint, I'm not FM). I tried to figure out who would be friendly to me vs who wouldn't be, and have a pseudo ranking. Im also a decade or so out of training, so I'm looking to apply to a few extra places hoping that I'll have more luck. The locations I was looking for geographically helped narrow it down a little. I still probably need to cut 15-20 from this list so I'm not just applying everywhere, lol.

Speaking of that, what are your thoughts about the three geographic region preferences? I'm torn because we are wanting to end up closer to my wife's family, so ending up there would be ideal, but I have programs I am definitely interested in in most of the different zones. I've been reading all of the pluses and minuses of picking vs saying you don't have a preference, and I'm torn. Right now I have the no preferences checked, but I may change it to the three regions where the majority of the places I'm applying to are.

Oh man, I could go on about all of this for days, but I'll stop there for now. I'm sure my wife will be happy that there is someone else to talk to about this now. I've been trying to organize this, get experience, and get set up to apply for probably 2 years now. 🤣
 
Oh, and in regards to shadowing, I chatted with some of my ortho bros where I work and they got me in contact with sports med folks. I was able to get in with PPEs, clinic shadowing, and it helped me get in with the local schools for sideline shadowing, etc. I was able to go to a few conferences (local, national, and virtual) and it has helped me with networking as well. The toughest part when you're out on your own is figuring out the malpractice questions and is it worth it. I've only done events where I'm covered under someone else for that reason.
 
I have selected no preference, for now. My list has 20 programs, as not all programs accept my specialty (also not FM).

Have you noticed that all the programs listed in AMSSM and WIKISM are not in the NRMP yet? Do you think that'll change in the future?
 
I have selected no preference, for now. My list has 20 programs, as not all programs accept my specialty (also not FM).

Have you noticed that all the programs listed in AMSSM and WIKISM are not in the NRMP yet? Do you think that'll change in the future?
From looking at the prior years threads as well as some of the other specialty WAMC threads, I think some programs take their time to put themselves on ERAS and they have to do it each year. But yes, there are maybe 10 or so places I was looking at that don't seem to be available for choosing just yet. They still have a month/a few months, and I'm sure they're busy getting ready for the new fellows to start.
 
I have a spreadsheet of all of the programs that will accept my specialty (hint, I'm not FM). I tried to figure out who would be friendly to me vs who wouldn't be, and have a pseudo ranking. Im also a decade or so out of training, so I'm looking to apply to a few extra places hoping that I'll have more luck. The locations I was looking for geographically helped narrow it down a little. I still probably need to cut 15-20 from this list so I'm not just applying everywhere, lol.

Speaking of that, what are your thoughts about the three geographic region preferences? I'm torn because we are wanting to end up closer to my wife's family, so ending up there would be ideal, but I have programs I am definitely interested in in most of the different zones. I've been reading all of the pluses and minuses of picking vs saying you don't have a preference, and I'm torn. Right now I have the no preferences checked, but I may change it to the three regions where the majority of the places I'm applying to are.

Oh man, I could go on about all of this for days, but I'll stop there for now. I'm sure my wife will be happy that there is someone else to talk to about this now. I've been trying to organize this, get experience, and get set up to apply for probably 2 years now. 🤣
Is your spreadsheet shareable?
 
Hello guys, where did you all include your sideline coverage experience on ERAS? I know people put a lot of emphasis on it.

I put it under experience but I wasn't sure how you guys specified locations, time, etc.

Thank you!
 
I went with the experiences section. I used one input and titled it sideline medical coverage, then talked about where and what I had done in the explanation box. I couldn't really find anywhere else to put it that made sense.
 
If you are looking for some extra data and info on the programs you are looking at, check out the Frieda website.

Frieda specialties

-Once on the website, scroll down to the bottom of the list to find the 4 sports med groups.
-You'll have to look through each one depending on what your specialty is.
-Once on the specialty page, there will be a drop down menu and the last option is 'View Programs'. Click that option. This will get you all of the programs for FM/PM&R/peds/EM.
-On the specific program page, you can toggle through the different pages with the drop down menu at the top to find different info about the programs, too.


Don't forget your deadlines. It's taking 5 BUSINESS days to upload anything with the EFDO, which seems silly, but such is life. I don't understand why electronic documents need 5 full days to verify, but oh well. What that means though, is that if your school documents and LORs arent uploaded by July 8th or 9th, you probably ly won't have them ready for when programs can download the apps on July 16th.

There is also a document for the ERAS code of ethics that you have to send separately to each program. You can find it here:

Webpage for code of ethics

make sure youve got all of your ducks in a row for application season. Good luck!
 
If you are looking for some extra data and info on the programs you are looking at, check out the Frieda website.

Frieda specialties

-Once on the website, scroll down to the bottom of the list to find the 4 sports med groups.
-You'll have to look through each one depending on what your specialty is.
-Once on the specialty page, there will be a drop down menu and the last option is 'View Programs'. Click that option. This will get you all of the programs for FM/PM&R/peds/EM.
-On the specific program page, you can toggle through the different pages with the drop down menu at the top to find different info about the programs, too.


Don't forget your deadlines. It's taking 5 BUSINESS days to upload anything with the EFDO, which seems silly, but such is life. I don't understand why electronic documents need 5 full days to verify, but oh well. What that means though, is that if your school documents and LORs arent uploaded by July 8th or 9th, you probably ly won't have them ready for when programs can download the apps on July 16th.

There is also a document for the ERAS code of ethics that you have to send separately to each program. You can find it here:

Webpage for code of ethics

make sure youve got all of your ducks in a row for application season. Good luck!
This is great, thank you!

Are you submitting your application right on 7/15?
 
This is great, thank you!

Are you submitting your application right on 7/15?
No worries. I'm finding a lot of this with all of the searching I've been doing the last few months, so may as well pass it on!

I really hope that I've got all of my LORs in before then, but I will be submitting with or without them and hoping that I can get somewhere. I've got 3 people that have committed, one of them has already sent theirs in. The other two are working on it. The 4th is still a maybe, but a few places I've seen have asked for 4 instead of just 3. So I'll keep my fingers crossed.

My med school uses MIDUS for documents, so Ive got those in process and I am just waiting on ERAS to ok them. Last thing I need are my LORs.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No worries. I'm finding a lot of this with all of the searching I've been doing the last few months, so may as well pass it on!

I really hope that Ive got all of my LORs in before then, but I will be submitting with or without them and hoping that I can get somewhere. I've got 3 people that have committed, one of them has already sent theirs in. The other two are working on it. The 4th is still a maybe, but a few places I've seen have asked for 4 instead of just 3. So I'll keep my fingers crossed.

My med school uses MIDUS for documents, so Ive got thos in process and I am just waiting on ERAS to ok them. Last thing I need are my LORs.
I see, it sounds like you are going to submit as soon as they open up.

Exciting and terrifying time! Haha
 
What kinda experiences are you listing for relevant experiences? Sports coverage only? Or what other activities have you guys listed?
 
What kinda experiences are you listing for relevant experiences? Sports coverage only? Or what other activities have you guys listed?
I listed sideline coverage as one, I've had some mass casualty experience, pre-participation exams, leadership/backcountry trip and injuries, teaching opportunities, etc.

My wife and I talked about this section for a while because we weren't sure what to write. I was able to search around online and find some guides. They were more geared to residency, but I was able to make it work.

Open Evidence AI was able to help me out with some papers and discussion on what to include and what is important. And I've been watching the resident/fellow discussion panels on the AMSSM youtube page over the past few years to get info from them and PDs on what they want and are looking for. There are at least 3 or 4 of them that I've watched on there if you dig through the YouTube page.
 
I am confused about what to include in those 10 experiences. I have a few experiences with sideline coverage, but I have also worked as an attending for a few years, which is also important. I am also involved in a non-profit that also works for athletes, which is also important. I am just confused about what to include and what not to.
 
I am confused about what to include in those 10 experiences. I have a few experiences with sideline coverage, but I have also worked as an attending for a few years, which is also important. I am also involved in a non-profit that also works for athletes, which is also important. I am just confused about what to include and what not to.
I think if you are working with or around athletes, or if it has helped shaped you as the provider you are, that would be good to include. That's how I looked at it at least.

If you have the time, check these videos out. There are tidbits scattered in here and there in the ones I've listened to. This may help with what they are looking for in the applications. There is another one from '22 or '23 that I can find right now that was pretty good.

Matching into a SM fellowship panel June 2021

Reflections on in match from recall matched fellows 2023

Preparing for the SM match FM panel

Preparing for the SM match PM&R panel

Preparing for the sports med match EM/IM panel

Preparing for the sportsmed match SM Resident Council


And here is my Google search if you want to dig through there anymore:

Google search AMSSM matching youtube
 
From what I understand as long as you submit before the 16th, it will look like you submitted on the 16th. After that it will be the specific day you actually submit your application. I'm still waiting on one letter writer and for two submitted letters to be accepted into the system. As long as your letter is submitted by the 8th or 9th you should still be good. But, since it's taking the EFDO a full 5 business days for some unknown reason to accept the letters having them in before would be ideal.
 
How do you guys know which program requires 4 letters as opposed to 3? I understand Frieda has some info but if their website doesn't specify, I don't know what to rely on
 
I updated the interview spreadsheet from last year a little. See if you guys can access it. Once we start getting invites and hearing about programs you can put up the info you get. It should be helpful for others that are applying, too. I made it accessible to everyone and anyone can edit. Let me know if it isnt working.

If there are any PDs or fellows on here with info, please feel free to add it in. Thanks!!

2025-2026 Interview Invite Spreadsheet
 
Feeling good. Nervous. Cautiously optimistic. The silent waiting game is one of the toughest. End of August/September can't come soon enough, lol. I really wish they would send them all out in August so we could make our schedule for the next few months. Just giving a few weeks notice is hard when trying to juggle shifts and buy flights for the in person interviews. But. Such is life.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don’t worry too much guys, a lot of programs still have not sent out invites.
I know my home program (where I did my fellowship) and my current program (where I’m at now) haven’t sent out invites yet.
Also edited / added information on the excel spreadsheet for you guys to refer to.
Good luck 👍🏽
 
I've gotten a few, still hoping for about 10-12 per the graph that was put out a few years ago and chances of matching being near 99% at that number. But pretty stoked to have what I have so far. Thanks for the info, @RuggerSportsDoc !
 
Oh man, I just realized for one of the programs, none of the documents uploaded except for the application itself... I uploaded everyting now but it still says USMLE not uploaded.. Anyone know why?
 
Is your USMLE not uploaded for just that program, or for all of them? You may need to check the box on the page where you pick your LORs and PS, etc, and make sure that program is also selected to send them. If it isn't uploaded at all, I'd email the ERAS folks to see what the problem is.
 
Is your USMLE not uploaded for just that program, or for all of them? You may need to check the box on the page where you pick your LORs and PS, etc, and make sure that program is also selected to send them. If it isn't uploaded at all, I'd email the ERAS folks to see what the problem is.
oh thanks, I send USMLE transcript again and it sent them to all the programs again. It has yesterday's date thou on all on them. Oh well..
 
Yeah, we have had a few applicants link up the USMLE but didn’t “release” that to programs, you have to manually allow USMLE to send the transcripts over to programs.
The other issue was people using / uploading old LoRs, and not selecting the right ones to send.
When ranked list come out, make sure you need to confirm/save and then certify from things to finalize.

Little tips.
 
Quite a few of my interview invitations have had the option for in person or virtual. I can't always make the in person ones. Do we think programs look down slightly on those of us that interview virtually when they also offer in person?
 
Quite a few of my interview invitations have had the option for in person or virtual. I can't always make the in person ones. Do we think programs look down slightly on those of us that interview virtually when they also offer in person?
I've been wondering the same myself. I don't know if there is a good way to answer it, as with everything, I think it depends. But getting an interview is still way better than not, so just prepare as best you can and rock it out. That's my plan at least. If you interview well, I can't imagine they will hold it against you if you can't make the in person.
 
I know someone with at least a handful
I know it won't help this year, but I'm working with some of the EM|SM folks to update a map on the ACEP page to show programs that are historically friendly to both EM and IM. I'm sure we could share some of the info if there is a sports med page on the ACP/IM site.
 
How is the group feeling about things? Has anyone had any interviews yet? I have a couple under my belt now, and some more scattered over the next month or so into early November. Mine have been mostly virtual, but I have a few in person scheduled as well. Has anyone been stumped answering questions yet? Any good commentary or questions that have come up? The Google sheets spreadsheet shows about 75-80% of programs have sent out invites, so there are still about 40 ish programs left that have yet to send things out. Keep the faith! I got a late Friday evening email through Thalamus just last night, so things can still trickle in over the next month or so.
 
Completed one virtual interview so far, honestly seemed too simple and interviewers just wanted to get to know me and what I wanted in a program. Expected to talk more about my sports experience and application but honestly that didn't come up. Hard to really make any big impressions via virtual interviews that only have a few 15-20 minute sessions. For my residency, applications get you interviews, then we rank applicants solely on their interviews. I'm hoping for fellowships the application has more weight because these virtual interviews are pretty short.
 
Completed one virtual interview so far, honestly seemed too simple and interviewers just wanted to get to know me and what I wanted in a program. Expected to talk more about my sports experience and application but honestly that didn't come up. Hard to really make any big impressions via virtual interviews that only have a few 15-20 minute sessions. For my residency, applications get you interviews, then we rank applicants solely on their interviews. I'm hoping for fellowships the application has more weight because these virtual interviews are pretty short.
I feel you there. A few of my virtual interviews the folks I was talking to spent most od the time talking. I still got good vibes for whatever that means. I have a few in person interviews this month, so that will be cool to compare the two styles.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Completed one virtual interview so far, honestly seemed too simple and interviewers just wanted to get to know me and what I wanted in a program. Expected to talk more about my sports experience and application but honestly that didn't come up. Hard to really make any big impressions via virtual interviews that only have a few 15-20 minute sessions. For my residency, applications get you interviews, then we rank applicants solely on their interviews. I'm hoping for fellowships the application has more weight because these virtual interviews are pretty short.
Every program - and every interviewer - will be different in what questions are asked, whether virtual or in person. Even if you don't talk about your application, there is a high chance it gets factored in for ranking.

Personally, if I have limited time with an applicant, I don't want to waste it going over the CV
 
anyone know whats a "safe" number to ank last data was from 2018 but i kinda want to see if any one in the past has a better idea'
 
anyone know whats a "safe" number to ank last data was from 2018 but i kinda want to see if any one in the past has a better idea'
I haven't been able to find any more recent info, but I think it was a little different back then pre-covid. I don't think folks applied to as many programs, and since we have pretty widely used virtual interviews now since covid times, applicants can go on more interviews as well. When I applied to residency a decade ago the general thinking was 8-10 was a pretty good safe bet. But because of the number of factors I don't think there is a set number than be can said for sure each year. More is typically better, but quality over quantity matters too.
 
Last edited: