Electives to prep for integrated thoracic aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cutandsew

Reaction score
I'm anticipating to have time for at least one elective before starting away rotations in integrated thoracic--assuming of course I manage to land one--and want to know what might be a good elective choice to prepare. My school doesn't have a CT elective, otherwise I'd go for that. Things I am considering include:

- SICU
- cardiology
- plastics (hone suturing skills)
- peds cards (supposedly includes some OR time)
- ?

Appreciate any advice on rest of year electives as well to prep. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think SICU is never a bad idea, especially if your prior rotations have been on lower acuity services without much SICU exposure. CT patients can be some of the sickest in the hospital, so knowing at least a modest amount about pressors, vent settings, etc may serve you well.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm anticipating to have time for at least one elective before starting away rotations in integrated thoracic--assuming of course I manage to land one--and want to know what might be a good elective choice to prepare. My school doesn't have a CT elective, otherwise I'd go for that. Things I am considering include:

- SICU
- cardiology
- plastics (hone suturing skills)
- peds cards (supposedly includes some OR time)
- ?

Appreciate any advice on rest of year electives as well to prep. Thanks!

You might consider also taking an icu rotation at your away location before the CT one to get used to the hospital and computer system so you could shine on the rotation.

Might help, but might hurt just like any away rotation.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You might consider also taking an icu rotation at your away location before the CT one to get used to the hospital and computer system so you could shine on the rotation.

Might help, but might hurt just like any away rotation.

I like this idea a lot. This could probably be an entirely separate thread, but if I choose to do as you have suggested, how would you recommend I split up my aways. I'm allowed a total of 4 and have no true home program for thoracic or general. Maybe 2 integrated, 1 general, and 1 SICU?

I like this idea a lot. This could probably be an entirely separate thread, but if I choose to do as you have suggested, how would you recommend I split up my aways. I'm allowed a total of 4 and have no true home program for thoracic or general. Maybe 2 integrated, 1 general, and 1 SICU?

I think a lot comes down to how competitive you are for each. If you are competitive for i6, two places could help. If not as much, then maybe 1 with 1 or 2 general surgery rotation. But remember, away rotations can help and they can hurt.

I'm applying into a different surgical sub that requires aways and for someone applying into mine (also with a lot of ICU patients) I would definitely not recommend doing an ICU rotation before doing your away rotation at any place. First, time is scarce fourth year especially for people applying into competitive specialties requiring aways and letters from those aways. Second, learning the EMR enough to be a good Sub-I takes like 2 days max (I had different EMRs on all of my sub-Is) and residents are happy to point you towards the most relevant things if you get lost. Third, at least in my specialty, they want letters from the surgeons, not from the ICU directors (might be specialty dependent - I'm not sure how CT surgery is in this regard). And finally, as @ThoracicGuy says above, every away is another opportunity to look bad. Especially if it's a place you really want to interview at or match at, two months there gives you double the chances to mess up while it would only take a single month to shine. The risk reward benefit just isn't there for an away ICU rotation.

I'm applying into a different surgical sub that requires aways and for someone applying into mine (also with a lot of ICU patients) I would definitely not recommend doing an ICU rotation before doing your away rotation at any place. First, time is scarce fourth year especially for people applying into competitive specialties requiring aways and letters from those aways. Second, learning the EMR enough to be a good Sub-I takes like 2 days max (I had different EMRs on all of my sub-Is) and residents are happy to point you towards the most relevant things if you get lost. Third, at least in my specialty, they want letters from the surgeons, not from the ICU directors (might be specialty dependent - I'm not sure how CT surgery is in this regard). And finally, as @ThoracicGuy says above, every away is another opportunity to look bad. Especially if it's a place you really want to interview at or match at, two months there gives you double the chances to mess up while it would only take a single month to shine. The risk reward benefit just isn't there for an away ICU rotation.

Definitely a consideration. I would expect CT surgery would want primarily CT surgeons writing the letters. Consideration for general surgery if no CT surgery department is probably acceptable, though they should still have CT letters.

You probably don't need an away icu rotation, but if you're gunning for CT surgery, I'm not sure you need say general surgery rotations unless you don't have a general surgery program where you are at.

Reactions: 1 user
I also want to clarify that I think AWAY icu rotations are probably useless. Home ICU rotations (SICU, NICU, STICU, CTICU depending on specialty) are super helpful and can help you on your surgical sub I (since you’ll probably be carrying, rounding on, or consulting on the relevant ICU patients). Just not at all necessary to do it at an away place that you plan to do your surgical sub-I at

Reactions: 1 user