Electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shellymedics

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm posting this here because the question I have is probably best answered by US citizens studying in Australia and Ireland.

I am a medical student in the UK and would very much like to do my elective in the USA. The probelem is that I have no idea about the medical education system in the US at all. I was led to believe that Australian and Irish medical schools have electives for their medical students similar to the way that UK medical schools have. If so, I would assume that many of the American students studying at these places would have gone back to the US for their elective.

I would appreciate any advice from students (American or otherwise) who have done this. Specifically I would like to know:

--Which medical schools/hospitals did you do your elective at?
--How much did it cost to do your elective at this place?
--Are there any contacts or numbers that you could possibly provide me with?
--Are there any personal recomendations you can make?

Don't worry, I'm not lazy, in fact I'm working my butt off to try and make this happen, but the country is so big, I have no contacts, and I have no idea where to start in terms of which places will actually accept me instead of just wanting $300 for me to fill in an application that they will just put in the trash.

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

if you go to the australian medical students association website www.amsa.org.au, you'll find an electives database with the information you're looking for