Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Electives

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by pvt27, Feb 19, 2007.

1. pvt27

pvt27 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hi,

I start rotations in June and was wondering if anyone has any advice/ideas on what elective is good to take during the 3rd year. I have no idea what I am interested in yet and my elective is pretty early in the rotation-year (September). I was just confused as to what to do since it will be before most of my rotations. What did you guys do?

Any help/advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Syranope2

Syranope2 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I did an EM rotation because I think every med student should rotate through the ER at least once and it was not a required clerkship at my school.

3. SurgeryChef

SurgeryChef Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree that EM is important and a good rotation to do, but I think it'd be pretty tough to do this so early in your third year. It's a good 4th year rotation because it really requires knowledge from every third year block. I'd personally choose something like radiology, anesthesia, derm...

4. DHMO

DHMO Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Agreed. Radiology would be a great rotation to do early in the year because you will come across imaging in just about every other field, and you don't need to know much about the other specialties to gain valuable information from a radiology rotation.

5. colbgw02

colbgw02 Delightfully Tacky
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Do something that you otherwise wouldn't be exposed to during 3rd-year clerkships, like radiology, anesthesia, dermatology, ophthalmology, or pathology.

I can't tell you the number of people I know that changed their specialty of choice late in the game simply because they had no exposure to it until the summer or fall of 4th year.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...