Electrical Engineering Major w/ pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I forgot to mention that if you are interested in going into research or MD/PhD, EE/premed is a really excellent idea.

... if you want to do a PhD in something engineering or physics related

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an EE major and just got accepted into medical school. Here's the blunt answer:
A much better route is:
Do BME with an emphasis on the electrical side of things. The basic course load will cover the fundamentals of EE and personal interest will let you pursue the specific areas that really interest you. Meanwhile, many of the pre-med classes will be in your curriculum so you won't have to add extra hours to your degree requirements.

This is an excellent idea. I am currently a a BME with a specialty in computer engineering, and that is exactly what we do at our school. For us, all the pre-med classes are electives or required. And you get to take some really awesome classes that pertain to both medicine and engineering (ex. physics of imaging systems, neural engineering). As a bachelors degree, BME is not nearly as specific as MechE, EE, CE, etc., and really requires graduate-level work to get into the specialties like medical imaging, hemodynamics, and neural engineering. But if you are interested in med school, but want to do engineering, it is 100% the way to go.