Help me try to make a plan as a bio major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

McFarlanders

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m a pre-med student who’s about to attend the University of Oklahoma and is majoring in Biology: Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, B.S. I have already earned a total of 25 credits hours, leaving about 96 more credit hours I have to complete. So far, I’ve completed English Comp. I and II (A on both), US History to 1865 (A), American Pop. Music (A), American Fed. Govt (B), Multiculturalism (A), and Principles of Bio I w/La b (B). I also tried to get throughout College Algebra but I withdrew from it.

In my fall semester as a freshman, I will be taking Mathematical Reasoning, Introduction to Sociology, and Beginning Spanish, totaling about 13 hours. I will be attempting to take bio II (BIO 1134), college algebra, BIO 1111, and Expository writing. Note: I’m terrible at math, I never liked math in general.

I’m worried about how to make connections with other people (ex: professors and other students) as I’m not great at making relationships. I’m also worried about how to handle this much work while trying to get clinical/nonclinical hours, only been this passionate about the medical since I was a junior in high school, trying to go through it all without having a car or drivers license.

I don’t know what to do.
 
Welcome to the forums. Read

Please confirm that OU is giving you credits for your AP or dual enrollment/CC coursework. Remember those grades count on your application but may not be included in your OU GPA.

Have you attended any IN-PERSON summer onboarding/orientation sessions? I assume you must attend to register for classes with academic advisors and faculty you meet during those sessions. Attending orientation is a start to addressing your concerns about not meeting professors or other students.

If you only connect with people virtually, you won't make strong connections with professors or other students. GO TO CLASS. GO TO OFFICE HOURS. Attend social events (other than just the football games). Get involved with community service experiences. Rely on others with cars (not everyone goes to college who can afford parking). If you don't like math, get help.

Honestly, you need to go to orientation and get networking. You are only hurting yourself by not making connections with others. All the links I have shared in this post have come from simple internet searching; you must do better than showing me you are incapable of doing this if you are going to survive medical school. Nothing will be handed to you if you don't ask. You have no excuses when it's time to put together a med school application.