Electrochemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Just Joshin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Number 965 in EK has a question about a galvanic cell. I have two questions. First, I know a glavanic cell is always positive so is that how they knew it had to be Zn to be flipped, because it's voltage was negative?

And secondly, how do you know which is the product and which is the reactant when you combine them?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure that I can answer all of your questions but a good rule of thumb for electrochemistry is to use the money metals concept. Those are the metals used for money; they are valuable because they withstand the test of time (do not oxidize spontaneously). So for example if in a cell you have Pb and Au, Pb is less valuable so it must be oxidized by gold. Therefore gold is reduced and will precipitate out.

I simply look at the E for each half reaction. The one that is more positive is the one that is more likely to get reduced (has a higher reduction potential). Hence the other one must be the one that faces oxidation. Just make sure to configure the Ecell properly in terms of Ecat-Ean and everything will fall into place and it will give you the right equation to determine the reactants and the products. Remember: Galvanic cells ALWAYS have a negative change in Gibbs Free Energy (Spontaneous)

Last edited:
I need someone to be more specific because I still don't understand. Here is the problem:

Cu+2 + 2e- ---> Cu 0.34

Zn+2 + 2e- ---> Zn -0.76

A galvanic cell is made using 2M Zn+2 and 1M Cu+2 solutions. The emf of the cell is:

(a) less than 1.1 V
(b) 1.1 V
(c) greater than 1.1 V
(d) the answer can't be determined

The answer is (a) because Zn is the product and we since we increase the concentration of the product, we lower the emf. My question is, how do we know that Zn is the product and that we lower the emf?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Cu is the product. Since it has a higher reduction potential.

I agree with Andrew. Since its a Galvanic cell and E>0, the equation for Zn must be flipped (If you flip the other one you get a negative E). The net equation looks like:

Zn + Cu2+ <--> Cu + Zn2+ E=+1.1 V

Since you have 2M Zn2+ (standard reduction potentials are at 1M), the actual E is less than 1.1 V.

Last edited:
hey.. I'm not sure why the book says the answer is A but according to what I know, it should be 1.1 V. In galvanic cell, the total voltage generated is sum of the anode (oxidation) + cathode (reduction) reactions for a galvanic cell. Since they always give you reduction potentials, you know that its easier to reduce Cu2+ (cuz of its positive value) and harder to reduce Zn. Thus in this case, Zn will be easier to oxidize and you have to flip the eqation for oxidation rxn. So its .76 + .36 = 1.1V. I'm assuming this is the most logical reasoning behind this ? else I'm totally screwed for my MCAT :(

hey.. I'm not sure why the book says the answer is A but according to what I know, it should be 1.1 V. In galvanic cell, the total voltage generated is sum of the anode (oxidation) + cathode (reduction) reactions for a galvanic cell. Since they always give you reduction potentials, you know that its easier to reduce Cu2+ (cuz of its positive value) and harder to reduce Zn. Thus in this case, Zn will be easier to oxidize and you have to flip the eqation for oxidation rxn. So its .76 + .36 = 1.1V. I'm assuming this is the most logical reasoning behind this ? else I'm totally screwed for my MCAT :(

I think the answer is less than 1.1 because there's 2M of Zn rather than one. I'm still confused on exactly why that is though. If there's 2M, why wouldn't the answer be greater than 1.1?

I think the answer is less than 1.1 because there's 2M of Zn rather than one. I'm still confused on exactly why that is though. If there's 2M, why wouldn't the answer be greater than 1.1?

Thats correct, it is because of the 2M. If all ions were at 1M, then it would be equal to 1.1V. If you think back to LeChatelier's Principle, if you add products, the reactants become more favoured and less of the forward reaction occurs (less than 1.1V). If you add more reactants, then it will be more than 1.1V. Thats the way I think about it.

please correct me if I am wrong...

but for this answer can't you reason it out with an equation:

If you use the Nerst equation (because the concentrations are different) the answer mathematically is less than 1.1 V

please correct me if I am wrong...

but for this answer can't you reason it out with an equation:

If you use the Nerst equation (because the concentrations are different) the answer mathematically is less than 1.1 V

Yes, this will give you the answer quickly (if you remember the equation!)

E = E0 - RT/(nF) ln(Q)

In this case, Q=[Zn+2] / [Cu+2], since you ignore the pure solids Zn and Cu. Since [Zn+2] = 2 M and [Cu+2]= 1 M, ln(Q)=ln(2) > 0.

So you are subtracting a positive number from E0, resulting in a lower emf.

Thats correct, it is because of the 2M. If all ions were at 1M, then it would be equal to 1.1V. If you think back to LeChatelier's Principle, if you add products, the reactants become more favored and less of the forward reaction occurs (less than 1.1V). If you add more reactants, then it will be more than 1.1V. Thats the way I think about it.

EXCELLENT!!!

That is exactly the way this should be reasoned correctly! If all concentrations are equal, given that the ratio of Cu2+ to Zn2+ is 1:1, then emf would be 1.10.

If there are more reactants than products, the reaction will push forward, and thus generate more energy and therefore more voltage.

If there are more products than reactants, the reaction will push backwards, and thus generate less energy and therefore less voltage.

In this case, the reaction is: Cu2+ + Zn(s) <==> Cu(s) + Zn2+

Because there is more Zn2+ than Cu2+, there is more product than reactant, so the emf is less than the standard value of 1.10 V.

I need someone to be more specific because I still don't understand. Here is the problem:

Cu+2 + 2e- ---> Cu 0.34

Zn+2 + 2e- ---> Zn -0.76

A galvanic cell is made using 2M Zn+2 and 1M Cu+2 solutions. The emf of the cell is:

(a) less than 1.1 V
(b) 1.1 V
(c) greater than 1.1 V
(d) the answer can't be determined

The answer is (a) because Zn is the product and we since we increase the concentration of the product, we lower the emf. My question is, how do we know that Zn is the product and that we lower the emf?

The one with the lower concentration has to be at the anode. So the 1M Cu solution has to be at the anode. Since oxidation occurs at the anode ("An Ox"), we know the reaction at the anode is:

Cu --> Cu+2 + 2e-

This implies the reaction at the cathode is the opposite reaction, i.e.:

Zn+2 + 2e- ---> Zn

So that's how we know Zn is a product formed at the cathode. If we are building up more and more product, then the reaction is not going to want to go forward in that direction as much (think LeChatelier's principle). This translates into a lower potential. Just think of it very generally as-- whatever happens to stimulate the reaction = higher potential for the reaction.

Going back to an earlier key pt of the problem- how do we know we want the lower concentration at the anode? Again, it's sorta like LeChatelier's problem. The two half cells have different concentrations, and the one that has less wants to have more.

The only way to get the higher [metal cations] is to run the reaction in the direction where a solid metal is getting oxidized to produce metal cations and electrons. So we know the one with the lower concentration solution should be the one getting oxidized, so as to produce more metal cations. Oxidation occurs at the anode, so this must be happening at the anode. This works out, because the electrons, as products of that reaction, get sort of "drawn out" from the anode to the cathode, so this drives the reaction forward (as products "disappear").

So remember, the [cations at the cathode] = reactants (since they're reacting with the incoming electrons to form a solid metal on the cathode), whereas [cations at the anode] = products (since the solid metal of the anode is getting oxidized and producing the cations as well as electrons). You could use this with the Nernst equation by plugging in Q = x/y, where x = [products] = cations at anode] and y = [reactants] = [cations at cathode]. So in this case, y > x, and Q < 1. This means a lower potential than what you'd have if x = y, s.t. Q = 1.

Basically there are just a few facts to keep in mind in these problems:

1. "An Ox" (oxidation occurs at anode)/"Red Cat" (reduction occurs at cathode)

2. electrons always go from anode to cathode (in both galvanic & electrolytic cells)

3. if concentrations of 2 half cells are not equal, lower concentration solution should be at anode, if you want the reaction to run on its own.