Electrolytic solution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So pure water is not electrolytic at all. I thought I read somewhere that pure ionic liquids (not water, obviously) are typically not electrolytic either. Am I just making that up or has someone else seen that too?

Question is which conducts electricity the most poorly.

A. NaCl(l) <--- NOT NaCl (aq)
B. HClO(aq)

EK says B. I mean I know HClO is a weak acid, but are pure ionic liquids still good conductors?

HClO(aq) is not as conductive as NaCl(l)!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ionic liquids are often moderate to poor conductors of electricity, non-ionizing (e.g. non-polar), highly viscous and frequently exhibit low vapor pressure.

from wiki.

How would you know how to decide between either of those?

Ionic liquids are often moderate to poor conductors of electricity, non-ionizing (e.g. non-polar), highly viscous and frequently exhibit low vapor pressure.

from wiki.

How would you know how to decide between either of those?

No clue. The answer is "HClO is a weak acid so it doesn't dissociate much in water"

No clue. The answer is "HClO is a weak acid so it doesn't dissociate much in water"

isn't it because liquid (non electrolytic) is a state of matter, while aqueous is the compound in water - which will dissociate the compound, hence becoming electrolytic and will conduce electricity ?

Members don't see this ad :)
isn't it because liquid (non electrolytic) is a state of matter, while aqueous is the compound in water - which will dissociate the compound, hence becoming electrolytic and will conduce electricity ?

The question is why is NaCl(l) a better electrolytic solution than HClO(aq), not the other way around.

Here is a simplistic view of what is going on.

When NaCl(l) is melted, the Na(+) and the Cl(-) ions are free to move. One can migrate towards the cathode, and the other to the anode. At the respecive electrode, reduction (gain of electrons) and oxidation (loss of electrons) occur. Since the cathode is giving electrons and the anode is taking electrons equally, it is like the electrons are being conducted through the liquid.

HClO(aq) does not dissociate very much, therefore it does not have a large number of (+) and (-) ions to migrate fo the respective electrodes to have oxidation/reduction occur. Thus, it is like there is not a lot of electrons traveling through the liquid.

dsoz

Here is a simplistic view of what is going on.

When NaCl(l) is melted, the Na(+) and the Cl(-) ions are free to move. One can migrate towards the cathode, and the other to the anode. At the respecive electrode, reduction (gain of electrons) and oxidation (loss of electrons) occur. Since the cathode is giving electrons and the anode is taking electrons equally, it is like the electrons are being conducted through the liquid.

HClO(aq) does not dissociate very much, therefore it does not have a large number of (+) and (-) ions to migrate fo the respective electrodes to have oxidation/reduction occur. Thus, it is like there is not a lot of electrons traveling through the liquid.

dsoz

The melting point of NaCl(s) is 801deg C. You're saying that, at that same temperature, HClO still won't dissociate completely?

Ah damn I'm sorry. I need to fix that.

Oh ok well now that totally makes sense. A liquid of an ionic salt has a lot more ions floating around. A weak acid has barely any free ions floating around. Less ions flowing = less conductivity.

Edit:

The melting point of NaCl(s) is 801deg C. You're saying that, at that same temperature, HClO still won't dissociate completely?

For questions like these I don't think you are supposed to assume they are under the same conditions. Besides, don't you think a solution of HClO(aq) would evaporate at 800C?:rolleyes:

Oh ok well now that totally makes sense. A liquid of an ionic salt has a lot more ions floating around. A weak acid has barely any free ions floating around. Less ions flowing = less conductivity.

So would NaCl(l) be more conductive than NaCl(aq)?

So would NaCl(l) be more conductive than NaCl(aq)?

Honesty I can't say. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the aq phase is able to conduct electricity better but I can't remember why. Also see my edit in prev post.

Honesty I can't say. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the aq phase is able to conduct electricity better but I can't remember why. Also see my edit in prev post.

Yea I saw the edit. Well what you're saying about aq vs liquid is why I thought that the weak acid aqueous would still be better than pure ionic liquid. I'll just memorize I guess.

Thanks!