Electron Affinity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndianVercetti

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if someone could clarify the difference between Electronegativity and Electron Affinity. I know they are generally the same trend, but could someone elaborate on the difference between these two terminologies?

I've read many review books, but they all seem to have definitions that are so similar, that I really can't tell the difference.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Edit: That link is awesome. Here is my somewhat silly response.

Electron affinity is basically how much energy is released when a neutral atom receives an electron. I think of it as how happy an atom is to receive an additional electron. As you know, it generally increases from left to right and decreases from top to bottom of the periodic table.

Electronegativity also increases from increases from left to right, and decreases from to top to bottom. It is a measure of the relative strength of attraction of electrons an atom in a bond has compared to the other atom.

I kinda like to think of it as Electron Affinity being how much it likes to receive, and Electronegativity being how much it likes to take. For whatever reason, personifying chemistry helps me understand it better. :smile:

Members don't see this ad :)
i forgot where i came across it but thinking about it this way helped me:

Electron affinity is an atom's attraction for electrons it doesn't have.

Electronegativey is an atom's attraction for electrons it does have (in a bond).

Electron affinity represents how likely it is to add an electron especially to obtain an octet.

Group 2A = low electron affinities.
Group 7A = high electron affinities.
Group 8 electrons = zero affinities.

i forgot where i came across it but thinking about it this way helped me:

Electron affinity is an atom's attraction for electrons it doesn't have.

Electronegativey is an atom's attraction for electrons it does have (in a bond).

Electron affinity represents how likely it is to add an electron especially to obtain an octet.

Group 2A = low electron affinities.
Group 7A = high electron affinities.
Group 8 electrons = zero affinities.

exactly , they are very related concepts but electronegativity is the ability of an atom in chemical bond with another atom to attract electrons to itself while electron affinity is the ability of an isolated atom to attract additional electrons