Eligibility & Chance of Admission in MD/PhD programme

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rajkumar Paul

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, This is Rajkumar from India. I want to pursue MD/PhD in USA. Currently, I am doing lectureship in an engineering college in India. I have done M.Tech (Biotechnology) in 2007 and M.Sc (Agricultural Science). I have registered for TOEFL and GRE in October this year. I also want to give MCAT. When should I give this exam--- in September or January? I want to take admission in next year. Plz, tell me wheter I am eligible for the above program or not. If yes, what chance I will have? Is it better for me to do MD/PhD than to do PhD? How many seats are there in each university for international student viz. Havard, MIT, Jhon Hopkins, Cornell etc.? Which scholarship can I get, if I take admission in MD/PhD program?

Members don't see this ad.

if you want to give the MCAT you should probably give it as late as possible in order to improve your verbal score

if you want to give the MCAT you should probably give it as late as possible in order to improve your verbal score

man you're a jerk

To Rajkumar, if you want to get admission so that you can start school in fall 2009, then you better take the September test. But even then, if you haven't started your apps yet, it might be really late in the game for such top schools...

To be honest you really have no realistic chance at enrolling in fall 2009 for an MD/PhD. You should probably look up what the application process entails. Most people begin the process no later than May of the year before they plan to enroll (to generate LOR's, write personal/research statements, la de da) and have accumulated much 'premed' activities throughout college. MD/PhD admission at the top schools, like those you have mentioned, is a long shot for just about anyone in the US, and a much greater long shot abroad because the school has to fork out money for you, not the NIH.

The PhD application process (just PhD alone, not MD/PhD) begins later, usually in late fall. You have a much, much better chance at this if you are looking to enroll in 2009.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Not going to say your a jerk, but I hope you did not imply that his verbal might be bad because of the way he spoke in the post. To the OT just take it whenever you want just be sure to take it before 2010 fall cycle of medical applications. So basically take all the tests by end of spring, beginning of summer next year. All the best luck!

hey...first i want to thank SDN and all contributors for their wonderful words of advice.
im yet another md/phd aspirant with an international status. i did my undergrad in Univ. of Mass, Amherst however.
anyways...
the list of schools which fund intl students is longer than what was posted way back in 2003 ( thanks again).
Several schools in New york state fund intl students for md/phd.

schools in Alabama and Florida also fund intl students.

To sytematically identify which schools offer and which dont, I use the md/phd website of the AAMC.org ( http://www.aamc.org/research/dbr/mdphd/programs.htm )

i plan to verify each school either by info on website or by email or phone call and develop a database of schools that fund intl students.

i wud appreciate if others join hands in splitting the workload.

some info i already know from the list on the AAMC site

All University of Californias DO NOT fund intl students. so forget calif.

Oregon health science univ DOES NOT

Arizona DOES NOT

Arakansas DOES NOT

Univ. of Chicago Pitzer school, Univ of Illinois, Chicago and Univ of Illinois Urbana Champain--- DOES NOT

Loyola University of Chicago DOES NOT

NORTHWESTERN MEDICAL UNIVERSITY DOESSS FUND..WOOHOO

okk....so this is all i know off hand.
i wud like to present a more thorough database in a few months.

any volunteers??

thanks a lot and good luck to all fellow aspirants