Taking MCAT 7/17 for MD/PhD programs this cycle, is it too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1108762

I am currently planning to either still take the MCAT on 6/30 or push it to 7/17. I know I should only take the test when I am ready... I am wondering if I submitted my primaries on 6/17 and start on my secondaries so they are done by 8/17, and apply to schools on 8/17 when I get my MCAT back, would it be too late for this cycle to even get an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I think applying 8/17 would be really late IMO. Even if you have submitted primaries...you haven't indicated the schools to which you are sending the primaries. So schools won't actually receive the primaries until after 8/17 which is ultimately a deadzone for your application. One thing you could do is indicate what schools you want to submit your primaries to now based on your current stats, projected MCAT score, and ECs. Call them to check if they will review your application before the MCAT score. If so, add them to AMCAS. Either do that or wait until the next cycle to apply when you are more prepared.
Let's see what the others say tho.

Reactions: 1 user
I would not risk it. Take it from somebody that did what you plan on doing and is now reapplying. I would have much rather held off to another cycle in hindsight. You will get getting even more time to study for the MCAT, build more extracurriculars and perfect your personal statement and pre-write all your secondaries and be stress-free in the next cycle.

I would not risk it. Take it from somebody that did what you plan on doing and is now reapplying. I would have much rather held off to another cycle in hindsight. You will get getting even more time to study for the MCAT, build more extracurriculars and perfect your personal statement and pre-write all your secondaries and be stress-free in the next cycle.
Thank you! I know it's a risk for sure, but if I submit my primaries to schools before MCAT score comes out and complete the secondaries beforehand so the app would be done on 8/17, would that be too late? Would you mind sharing when you completed your entire application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I know it's a risk for sure, but if I submit my primaries to schools before MCAT score comes out and complete the secondaries beforehand so the app would be done on 8/17, would that be too late? Would you mind sharing when you completed your entire application
If you wanna look at my post it goes in depth about my timeline and experiences/stats as that might also be helpful for you to compare.

I submitted Primary Application 7/13/20, also before I received my MCAT score.
Processed 8/25/20

I submitted 6 schools on 8/30, and returned 9 secondary's by 9/14. I got my first and only II in October (WL). You would be earlier than I was, however, if you take into account the general consensus of the importance of applying early you would be considerately late as I was. Keep in mind that with rolling admissions that there are thousands of applicants that have near identical stats and its essentially first come first serve for interview and acceptances. With interview invites coming in as early as late July, schools are already piling up applications to review and fill interview slots by the time yours gets in the door.

There are certainly people that do get accepted applying later than ideal but the odds aren't in your favor.

If you wanna look at my post it goes in depth about my timeline and experiences/stats as that might also be helpful for you to compare.

I submitted Primary Application 7/13/20, also before I received my MCAT score.
Processed 8/25/20

I submitted 6 schools on 8/30, and returned 9 secondary's by 9/14. I got my first and only II in October (WL). You would be earlier than I was, however, if you take into account the general consensus of the importance of applying early you would be considerately late as I was. Keep in mind that with rolling admissions that there are thousands of applicants that have near identical stats and its essentially first come first serve for interview and acceptances. With interview invites coming in as early as late July, schools are already piling up applications to review and fill interview slots by the time yours gets in the door.

There are certainly people that do get accepted applying later than ideal but the odds aren't in your favor.
Thanks so much! I feel applying next year is the most rational thing to do at this point, but the impatient part of me just feel I can't sit through the pre-med-school agony for one more year, which I will probably regret in the long run. Best of luck with your application this year!

Thanks so much! I feel applying next year is the most rational thing to do at this point, but the impatient part of me just feel I can't sit through the pre-med-school agony for one more year, which I will probably regret in the long run. Best of luck with your application this year!
Yeah, I felt the exact same as you last cycle, but it really stings to go through it again if you don't end up being successful and getting accepted.