eliminating some schools from my list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petr15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a long list of schools that I am applying to for my PsyD. But i would like to eliminate a bunch, preferrably the most difficult first. Any help would be appreciated.

Pace, Yeshiva, Long Island U., Chestnut Hill, Immaculata, Widener, Indiana U. of PA, Carlos ALbizu, Florida Institute of Tech, Nova Southern, Georgia Southern, Inidiana State, U. of Indianapolis, SPalding, Loyola, Wright State, Xavier, James Madison, regent, Marshall, Antioch of NE., Adler School of ProPsych, Roosevelt, Wheaton and LaSalle.

I know it's a long list, but if anyone could let me kno which you think are the harder ones, it would be great, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

To me personally it seems like somewhat of a strange request to ask strangers from a forum to narrow down your list of schools for you. It seems as though you're trying to gauge which ones are harder to get into and which ones are possibly easier. In my suggestion, I think it might be a good idea to do a little bit of research first to see which programs you're interested in and might be a good fit for you. Another good test to see if you're really interested in the program is ask yourself 'If i got in there, would I really consider going there?' I originally had about 22 schools on my list, but then knocked off a few when I realized that the geographic location didn't appeal to me too much, and that I'd probably be hesitant in going even if i got in.

And why NOT apply to a few of the more competitive programs, as well as a few less competitive programs? A really helpful book would be the APA's "Graduate Study in Psychology", the 2009 version. It basically outlines almost every single psychology program in the US (with the exception of a few) and it gives all the statistics on how many people apply and how many people get accepted. What's helpful is that these numbers are very program and track specific, rather than numbers for the overall psych dept. So that way you can look at which programs get a lot of applicants with low acceptance rates, and which programs seem to have better acceptance rates.

After all, you're trying to select which schools you might be interested in spending 5+ years of your life and possibly taking out a lot of loans as well. I think it's worth taking the time to do the research and gauge for yourself if you think the program is too competitive for you.

I have a long list of schools that I am applying to for my PsyD. But i would like to eliminate a bunch, preferrably the most difficult first. Any help would be appreciated.

Pace, Yeshiva, Long Island U., Chestnut Hill, Immaculata, Widener, Indiana U. of PA, Carlos ALbizu, Florida Institute of Tech, Nova Southern, Georgia Southern, Inidiana State, U. of Indianapolis, SPalding, Loyola, Wright State, Xavier, James Madison, regent, Marshall, Antioch of NE., Adler School of ProPsych, Roosevelt, Wheaton and LaSalle.

I know it's a long list, but if anyone could let me kno which you think are the harder ones, it would be great, thanks

I am from NYC, and I know from talking to others that schools located in the NYC/NY are extremely competitive to get into. I am also applying to a bunch of the schools you mentioned (FIT, Nova, Univ of Indianaplois, Chestnut Hill, Immaculata). I stayed away from the schools in NY/NYC.

That is all the advice I could offer. Sorry

Members don't see this ad :)

In my opinion: If Indiana U at Penn, Adler, and Regent are all on your list, you need to spend more time with your list.

Pace, Yeshiva, Long Island U., Chestnut Hill, Immaculata, Widener, Indiana U. of PA, Carlos ALbizu, Florida Institute of Tech, Nova Southern, Georgia Southern, Inidiana State, U. of Indianapolis, SPalding, Loyola, Wright State, Xavier, James Madison, regent, Marshall, Antioch of NE., Adler School of Prof. Psych, Roosevelt, Wheaton and LaSalle.

Just curious, why would you want to eliminate the hardest ones (highest quality ones) first? That seems counter intuitive.

Mark