Help: What are some good PsyD programs in Pennsylvania?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

memiller

Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently finishing up my last year of university and am curious to know which Psy.D programs in Pennsylvania are good programs and if anyone knows anything about them. I know there are many in the Philadelphia area as well. My GPA is a 3.80, I have worked in the mental health field for 5 years. I’m involved currently in 2 honor societies, am the Vice President of the psychology club, and graduated at community college with magna cum laude. I was also a tutor there and apart of psi beta. (Also the Vice President of the psych club at my associates degree program). Am hoping to keep getting the deans list as I have been getting it a few times now since my associates program. Am also looking at doing research. Thank you for listening this far and please do let me know if anyone knows of any good PsyD programs in PA.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! There are lots of PsyD and PhD programs in PA. What do you want to do with your degree? Have you looked into PhD programs as well?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! There are lots of PsyD and PhD programs in PA. What do you want to do with your degree? Have you looked into PhD programs as well?
Hello! Yes I have. I personally have just always wanted a PsyD program since it’s more clinically focused. I plan on opening my own group practice one day and have always wanted to attend one. I just hear that there are many! Which programs are better out of the ones you know? Thanks for feedback. :)

Any particular reason you are limited to PsyDs in PA? And not all clinical programs in PA?
I’ve just always known I want a program that is mostly clinically focused due to the goals I have set forward after my program is complete. I also want to enjoy the process of grad school. It’s nothing against Ph.D, it’s more of a personal choice.

The whole "PhDs are for research and PsyDs are for clincial work" idea is a myth. A quality PsyD program will look very similar and have similar expectations as a balanced PhD program. You can just as easily open a group clinical practice with a mental health counseling licensed or clinical social work license, and you will be out and licensed and working way quicker than if you go for the PsyD or PhD. Are there any other goals you have set for yourself that are pointing you to a doctorate instead of a master's level licensure?

I'm also curious what you mean by "I want to enjoy the process of grad school."

Reactions: 8 users
I’ve just always known I want a program that is mostly clinically focused due to the goals I have set forward after my program is complete. I also want to enjoy the process of grad school. It’s nothing against Ph.D, it’s more of a personal choice.
See above, this isn't really accurate. This is mostly just marketing by predatory diploma mills.

Reactions: 2 users
You can look them up here, I don't know which ones are "good" per say. The bare minimum would be APA-Accredited program. The list has 14 schools, 4 of them are on contingency, which I would probably avoid.

Go to the programs website and look at Student Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data section:
  • High Match Rate to APA-Accredited internship sites
  • Smaller Cohort
  • High Licensure Rate
  • Drop out rate; Time to Completion
  • Other Things to Consider: Courses; Research Interest; professors; Theoretical Orientation; Specialty Tracks
Why specifically PA? There are also a lot of surrounding states that have PsyD/PhD programs. PsyD programs usually come with high tuition costs and no difference between in-state or out-of-state tuition.

You have not defined "good" and you have not stated your goals other than wanting to own a group practice. There is no reason I can see for you to get a doctorate over a masters or a PsyD over a PhD. My definition of a good program is the one that makes you a licensed provider for the least amount of money and in the most expedient fashion. I would apply to all of the masters/PsyD/PhD programs that provide funding or are very low cost in your desired geographic region and see who accepts you. I believe there are stickies for "Insiders Guide...." and Mitch's website somewhere. Good luck.

Hello everyone! I am aware of the differences between masters and doctoral level. My overall goals are to do psychotherapy, psychological assessments, and evaluations etc. i have also seen that some psychologists can prescribe with additional training. I’m aware I may get some backlash on this. I am located in Pennsylvania and although I’m open to moving I would love to stay in state. I have looked into florida and saw that FIT has a great PsyD program. I have to keep housing in mind also. Can’t work full-time in a Psy.D program. Not sure how that will work.

Hello everyone! I am aware of the differences between masters and doctoral level. My overall goals are to do psychotherapy, psychological assessments, and evaluations etc. i have also seen that some psychologists can prescribe with additional training. I’m aware I may get some backlash on this. I am located in Pennsylvania and although I’m open to moving I would love to stay in state. I have looked into florida and saw that FIT has a great PsyD program. I have to keep housing in mind also. Can’t work full-time in a Psy.D program. Not sure how that will work.
I will only be applying to doctoral programs. If you simply can’t provide me with some guidance in that area it’s okay to not reply to this thread.

I will only be applying to doctoral programs. If you simply can’t provide me with some guidance in that area it’s okay to not reply to this thread.

People are giving advice according to what seems are misconceptions, and are common misconceptions. Take it or leave it, you haven't provided much information at all, so people will assume things. Sometimes that advice is not what you want to hear, but it's the appropriate advice. Take it or leave it.

I would second the recommendations above to consider also applying to balanced Ph.D. programs, which could expand the "pool" of schools to which you might apply.

It could also be helpful for folks to know, in addition to what you've said about general career goals, what your specific content-area interests are (as best you know them). Do you want to work with kiddos or adults (or both), are you more interested in mood disorders or neurodevelopmental conditions like autism or substance abuse or severe mental illness, etc.?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I will deviate from some of the advice provided as threads like this tend to come up often, and typically there will be a slew of "why not consider a Ph.D. program" remarks. To be blunt, I would recommend parsing out what is important to you. That could include some of the following:

1. Location
2. Cost (I highly recommend examining this)
3. APA internship match rates (I highly recommend examining this)
4. Ability to take coursework in specialty areas such as forensic, neuro, child, etc. if specialty practice is of interest to you.
5. If you are interested in research, I'd look into what research opportunities exist.
6. Any funding available?
7. Externship opportunities (i.e., practicum)
8. Long-term career interests, and how a Psy.D. can help position you to attain those interests/goals (granted, this can substantially change over the course of your studies, and, after you've graduated)

Many others above have "defined" and outlined what they view as important to them regarding their decision to select one type of program over another; that's great, and much if not all of the advice provided makes absolute sense and should be heavily considered. But I tend to view those as opinions, even when backed by statistical data.

I am a graduate from a Psy.D. program, and I work with many other Psy.D. psychologists. You can absolutely attain whatever goals you might have, whether they be research, teaching, or clinical practice in well-established organizations. Take my opinion, like others, with a grain of salt and factor in our opinions to come to a balanced decision. Perhaps the Psy.D. isn't a good fit for you, perhaps it is. Maybe a Ph.D. or master's will be better - in order to come to such a conclusion, it's worthwhile to take in all sorts of opinions. I too visited this forum back in the day when I was looking at programs, but I decided on the Psy.D. for my own personal reasons. That's why it's called "personal;" they are relative to each person.

Reactions: 3 users
I just realized that many posters who say they don’t want to do research also don’t want to research schools or the field of psychology. This isn‘t necessarily directed at the OP but sometimes I feel I did more research when I bought my recent e-bike than some people seem to want to do when making a huge investment in time, effort, and money that is inherent in pursuit of a doctoral degree in psychology.
To the OP, I strongly suggest spending some time on this board that is populated with some very successful psychologists in a variety of specialties who work in a variety of settings. I wish I had found this resource as a student. Even finding it in my early career as a licensed psychologist it has been very helpful and continues to pay dividends. Some smart folk on here that have already walked a bit down the path that you are wanting to head.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm currently a 5th year FIT PsyD student so I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the program. Regarding your comment about wanting to pursue a PsyD because you "want to enjoy the process of grad school" - any reputable PsyD program will be rigorous and will have similar requirements as PhD programs so I hope this isn't one of your main deciding factors.

When the OP is ready, here is the information from the APA about the PsyCAS portal for applying.

I went to a balanced PhD where almost all graduates end up in clinical careers and have talked to many others who went to research heavy PhDs and PsyDs.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard anybody say they truly enjoyed the process of getting a graduate degree in this field. I went to a liberal arts undergrad where the majority of my classes were 8-15 person seminars. That was genuinely enjoyable. Grad school, whether a PhD or PsyD is more akin to professional learning that one tolerates because the end goal is presumably worth it.

Many people like their programs or especially valued some parts of their training but probably everybody is ready to finish as soon as humanly possible (even if they are not taking on a massive debt load) and everybody will struggle at least a little bit to probably a decent amount throughout the process.

Probably the absolute best case scenario was I mostly enjoyed the process but I also 100% wished I hadn’t devoted so many years of my life and energy to it.

There will be constant pressures on your time that are sometimes quite rigid and unreasonable but you’ll still have to manage a way. People will expect you to have your **** together 24/7 when we know that’s an impossible standard to meet. You’ll constantly be receiving feedback that may not always be given constructively and can be easily personalized especially when of the interpersonal variety. The list goes on. And if you’re paying $30-$50k a year for that privilege, that might feel like a low blow.

I hope you find a school that’s a good fit. A PsyD fits well for some people. But it will also carry many of the less pleasant aspects of graduate education in our field, along with a hefty bill that you’ll likely spend decades paying off. Good luck!

We've chatted about grad school in here. Several people have indicated that grad school was fairly enjoyable. It can be long hours, but it was a good time at that life phase. Especially considering if you are not having to pay tuition.

I actually enjoyed grad school quite a bit more than undergrad, although it was more intense and demanding. I loved that the course material was brought to life by being in practicums and developing our research studies at the same time. My understanding is that most PhD students were doing the same thing and had just as many hours and clinical experience heading into internship.

I’m currently in my second year, so this is subject to change, but it seems like the first few years are the hardest in my program in terms of competing responsibilities. I have absolutely loved my grad school experience so far. I think a lot of people’s reactions depend on points of comparison. I’m an older student (started at 28) and had worked 60 hour weeks in a much more high pressure finance job and as a wilderness therapy guide where I spent every other week living out of a tent and was responsible for my students’ physical well-being at all times. Comparatively, grad school has provided my the opportunity to learn fascinating material without nearly as much pressure and negative feedback, and do so with a much more flexible schedule.

Grad school can often be catastrophized because many in programs don’t know anything else, but it isn’t unique and it is manageable. I don’t want to discredit the challenges people go through, as I know there are many and they are valid. I do want to normalize the amount of work we do and the feedback we might get, especially considering the quality of career that can exist on the other side.

I truly enjoy it! I think a big part of the reason that I am able to enjoy it is some acceptance and realism around the fact that not every second will be *fun.* I love what I'm doing but I love the fact that it's going to get me to my goals even more.

I definitely enjoyed grad school a lot more than undergrad. It was more challenging and more stressful at times, but getting to be focused on subjects that were more interesting and engaging to me made a huge difference. for psychology in particular, I think graduate level classes are just a whole lot more interesting because of getting lots more exposure to the nuance of how things work (or don't work) and what we as a field actually grasp and how much further we have to go in our understanding.

for OP's question: I would advise asking people who are local and actually have exposure to (or attend/work at) these programs and hold that as much more valuable than any programs' internet reputation. Do any programs stand out to you in PA that you are wanting specific feedback about? IME alums and faculty are usually pretty willing to have a quick chat with prospective students interested in learning more about a program.

Status
Not open for further replies.