eliquis and depakote interaction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

michaelrack

All In at the wrong time
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I work with some geriatric inpatients, as a psychiatrist. Some of them come in on a combination of Eliquis and depakote (the depakote is typically for mood lability, but sometimes it was prescribed for seizures).
Our EMR gives a warning about using these 2 meds together.

according to a quick copilot search:

Evidence shows two main concerns when Depakote and Eliquis are taken together:

​

  • Valproic acid/Depakote can decrease apixaban plasma levels, likely through P‑glycoprotein induction and possibly CYP3A4 induction.
  • This may lead to subtherapeutic anticoagulation and increased risk of stroke or systemic embolism.
  • A large nested case‑control study found higher stroke/systemic embolism risk when DOACs (including apixaban) were used with valproic acid.
How serious is this interaction, in your experience?
 
I do not prescribe Depakote and apixaban together. There are other options for both mood lability and seizures that do not interact with apixaban. I am biased being a neurologist, though the number of large vessel occlusion I've seen from apixaban being withheld for minor, non-emergent procedures really deter me from messing around with those on apixaban for AF.