eLOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

db713

MS State CVM c/o 2017!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! New to SDN. Tried to find this answer here, but couldn't so here we go:

I started an externship with an equine vet in May. We really hit it off and she said she would love to write me a very strong LOR. I'm excited! I am applying to vet school this fall and will be with her for the rest of the summer a couple times a week. Does the LOR ask how long you have known the person? She said she could write it now, and that is just fine with me, but will it look bad since she hasn't known me for a long time? Will it make any difference to the vet school if I get her LOR now or wait until august?

Also, how do I say that I had an externship with her vs just shadowing on VMCAS?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! New to SDN. Tried to find this answer here, but couldn't so here we go:

I started an externship with an equine vet in May. We really hit it off and she said she would love to write me a very strong LOR. I'm excited! I am applying to vet school this fall and will be with her for the rest of the summer a couple times a week. Does the LOR ask how long you have known the person? She said she could write it now, and that is just fine with me, but will it look bad since she hasn't known me for a long time? Will it make any difference to the vet school if I get her LOR now or wait until august?

Also, how do I say that I had an externship with her vs just shadowing on VMCAS?

Thanks!!

I don't know if it specifically asks how long you've known the person. But, of course, they can make the assumption because the 'experience' section on the app will show when you started your externship.

So long as it's more than a couple days or week I don't think they're going to care one way or the other, so I would give her as much time as possible to prepare it rather than holding out until September and putting her up against a deadline.

It will make no difference to the school if she does it now or in August.

The application allows you to give details about each entry in the experiences section, so you will simply describe it as an externship, along with what you did.

I don't know if it specifically asks how long you've known the person. But, of course, they can make the assumption because the 'experience' section on the app will show when you started your externship.

So long as it's more than a couple days or week I don't think they're going to care one way or the other, so I would give her as much time as possible to prepare it rather than holding out until September and putting her up against a deadline.

It will make no difference to the school if she does it now or in August.

The application allows you to give details about each entry in the experiences section, so you will simply describe it as an externship, along with what you did.

I THINK it asks the eLOR writer how long? I'm not positive on that though

Members don't see this ad :)
I THINK it asks the eLOR writer how long? I'm not positive on that though

It certainly might. One of my writers showed me the questions they have to answer, but I can't remember any of it now.

Either way, the important part is that I think so long as it's a substantive enough relationship the school won't care. If you're doing a summer-long externship, that's substantive (as opposed to a couple days shadowing somewhere).

It certainly might. One of my writers showed me the questions they have to answer, but I can't remember any of it now.

Either way, the important part is that I think so long as it's a substantive enough relationship the school won't care. If you're doing a summer-long externship, that's substantive (as opposed to a couple days shadowing somewhere).

Agreed :thumbup:

I know that VMCAS does ask how long they have known you, but as long as your working there for the summer "how long" won't matter in your case.
It doesn't really matter when they start writing it for you, but it is important that they have specific examples of your good characteristics that they are going to talk about. I did a file review with IA last year and that was one thing they said was a little lacking from two of my LORs; that although the letters said really great things about me, they didn't use specific examples to show those characteristics. The committees are going to read lots of LORs that say how great many of the applicants are, but if yours have specific instances where you exhibit those great facets of your character, that is going to stick more in their minds.

One of my LOR's for this past cycle was from a vet I met in July. So by the time everything was submitted, she knew me for about 3 months(two months of interning a 2-3 days/week then working PT ~4 days a week). None of the schools told me any particular letter was lacking and her's was the one I was worried about. However, I wanted a vet who I had worked with recently in addition to another vet I shadowed/lived with for a week. Things turned out absolutely fine. As long as they are able to address what makes you a great applicant and really convey that, I don't think the length you have known each other is really an issue.

The cycle before hand, I used only the vet I shadowed for a week. He's a family friend, so we've met several times before, but never really interacted a whole deal. Despite only really being around him for a week, no one said anything negative about his letter my first cycle either.