EM and ... football

Started by genes
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

genes

New Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since I can't stop thinking about the Superbowl, I was wondering which programs send EM residents to the sidelines of games.

I have a friend in an Indy program who worked a couple of Colts games (insert joke here about how no one could save Peyton Manning from the Pats). How about other programs? College or pro.

genes
 
LSU Baton Rouge staffs all the home LSU games.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I vaguely remember at UF-JAX they do the Jaguar games? Perhaps it is the college games, not sure. But they do something of that sort.

I *think* at Univ of MD they do the Baltimore Ravens games, or perhaps it was just a few of the attendings... not sure.

Apparently at USF we'll be doing all the concerts and other large gatherings around here. There are ample opportunities (Buccaneers, Tampa Bay Lightning, Devil Rays), but since we are the first class we haven't really done much searching for those opporutnities. I do know that our attendings have the contract for the St. Pete Times Forums for all the rock concerts. Mmm Britney Spears.

Q, DO
 
Originally posted by Geek Medic
A lot of programs may staff the games, but rarely are they on the sidelines. Usually teams have team docs, usually orthopedic surgeons. When EM residents/physicians staff games, it's usually the first aid stations.

Good point - that's the deal with the Bills. One of their team physicians is my father's and sister's doctor (who's an endocrinologist).
 
UF Jax residents are required to staff at least one HS football game as part of our EMS month requirements. SOMEONE (hopefully several) will be inside the stadium for the SUPERBOWL next year. We also do a lot of mass gatherings like boat races, marathons, and those that get a FL license can train to go to the space shuttle launches and landings which is pretty amazing.
 
Originally posted by anonymousEM
UF Jax residents are required to staff at least one HS football game as part of our EMS month requirements. SOMEONE (hopefully several) will be inside the stadium for the SUPERBOWL next year. We also do a lot of mass gatherings like boat races, marathons, and those that get a FL license can train to go to the space shuttle launches and landings which is pretty amazing.

The MetroHealth/Cleveland Clinic does the Browns games through the Cleveland Clinic, but as someone mentioned, it is as stadium doc, not sideline.

We do take care of the Browns as they come in stabbed, though.

mike
 
Palmetto in Columbia, SC has the opportunity to work the U of South Carolina FB games. You get a parking pass, 2 tickets, and ~$150 to sit in the stands, watch the game (hopefully) and respond as needed to various aid stations.
 
Originally posted by EMRaiden
Palmetto in Columbia, SC has the opportunity to work the U of South Carolina FB games. You get a parking pass, 2 tickets, and ~$150 to sit in the stands, watch the game (hopefully) and respond as needed to various aid stations.

Too bad the medical community frowns on drinking on the job.

(It woudl also make those long nights of traumas more fun).

Q, DO
 
I'm not sure if they still do but Denver used to staff the Bronco games. Basically you just sat way up in the upper deck and watched the game and the paramedics would call you if they needed you. I never got called but I only went to 1 or 2 games
 
At Hennepin in Minneapolis, the residents work both the sideline and the stands (2 separate residents) for all of the home Minnesota Vikings games...unfortunately, our Vikes always break our hearts by choking (ala Arizona in week 16)

Elf boy😡
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am the "team doctor" of a local HS football team here in Dayton. I went to all games and was gladly on the sidelines. While it wasn't pro or college, it was great experience and I certainly think it as worthwhile.
The WSU program has an EM based Sports Med fellowship affiliated with WSU basketball, pro hockey, and triple A baseball.

Man I would love to work the major pro games though.