EM Away Rotation Scheduling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oxford

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We just received our schedules for our third and fourth year rotations. I will probably only do 1 away rotation at the program I am most interested in. I am not sure which month would be better. I am hoping that some of you who just matched (congrats by the way) could give me some advice. I know it is a while away but just wondering what everyone thought. My scedule is as follows:

Finish 3rd year rotations at the end of June.
July: Free
August: vacation/board review (our school give us this month off)
Sept: Free
Oct: Required EM Rotation at my school
Nov: Free
Dec: Free

During the free months we are allowed any elective. We are allowed up to three rotations in the same field. Therefore including my required rotation at my school I am allowed 2 more EM rotations.
I want to have some experience before I do my away rotation. Thererfore, I should do an EM rotation before I go. Should I do one through my school (as an elective) in July and then do the away rotation in September or do the away rotation in November after my EM rotation at school. Is there any difference in doing an away rotation in Sept vs Nov? Do you guys think there is a better way to go about this?
Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Nov is too late to really get a letter. It may be ok to impress the people at that hospital if you want to end up there, but you'd be better off trying to do your away EM earlier. I did a Peds EM month at my school to "gear up" for my EM electives. I wouldn't do 2 months at your own school unless A) You really want to stay there and you really want to do 2 months of EM or B) You're at one of the schools that has 2 affiliated EM residencies.

Some would argue that 3 months of EM is too much and you should spend your time doing other things. Others can't get enough and do PEDI EM and Trauma surg etc. I'd say if you're going to do more than 2 months, do EM/Toxicology, EMS, research, etc rather than all straight EM.

Is there any way that you can move your required rotation (trade with someone or talk to the EM department)? October is getting kind of late to make good contacts at your school and get a letter for ERAS.

As for the other stuff, I agree with anonymous. Another option would be to do a month of EM research with your home department. Good way to get to know people, pretty chill, and looks good on the CV. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Scrubbs and anonymousEM for your replies! I guess what I will try to do is get my EM rotation done at my school in the month of July. That rotation will be done at an EM teaching program and I will do an away rotation in Sept. How does that sound if I can swing it? Thanks again!

Sounds like a good plan. :D Will you be able to switch the rotation, or will you still need to do the October one? Our EM department is very accomodating for students who are interested in the field. It doesn't really matter when you are scheduled to do your rotation (we use a lottery system), they'll find a way for you to do it in July or August. Talk to you department, or find a friend scheduled when you want it and switch!

I agree with the other posters. You would want to do your EM LOR getting month before you submit your ERAS. I did my core EM at my school in Jan of 3rd year. I did an elective in August as well as Nov. I got a letter from the EM residency in August, but Nov was way too late. I think Oct is too late as well. September is definately pushing it, as you should submit your ERAS ASAP.

What school are you at? I noticed your in Tampa... PM me.

Q

I am scheduled to do EM away rotations in Ag. and Sept. I have applied to 1 school for each of these times. Both have said that visiting students will not be confirmed until all their students have enrolled. How did you guys handle this? Did you wait and then apply to other schools after notification or did you apply to multiple to assure a spot during scheduled months somewhere?
Thanks
:confused:

There's no harm in applying to 2-3; I actually got rejected from one program. Just be sure to cancel ASAP (and absolutely no less than one month before the rotation) at the ones you won't be going to so other students can have the spots and you shouldn't jeopardize your chances at that institution. I matched at a place where I cancelled a month.

Dr. Cowboy,

I applied for several EM away rotations. Some programs, such as Univ FL-Jacksonville, has a number of allotted slots for away rotations regardless of home students. Others are less accommodating. Its best to apply to several programs, especially now. I applied for away rotation in March/April and some were already filled, or I was left in limbo until the home students got their schedules. If you're interested in a program, call the program coordinator and ask if they have open spots, how many students are ahead of you, and if its even likely to get a spot based on past history. Its best to be prepared in case you don't get the spot you want. Many students at my school waited to late and couldn't get an away rotation...of course, they still did great in the match so take it with a grain of salt...Best of luck