EM Board Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeaLover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering for those that took this course (NBME Board prep), do you find the at-home-self-study videos as good as in-person, or would your recommend the in person course instead?

Any other feedback/suggestions for some awesome Board prep? Thanks!

https://www.ceme.org/emergency-medicine-board-review-travel-information

Members don't see this ad.

Not NBME, but typically referred to as the NEMBR course. Watched the videos at home over a longer period of time. I personally don't think I would retain or properly review all the basics of the entire board exam over 40 hours in 4 days, in August, with the test still 3 months away. Friend of mine did it, said MOST people there seemed to be those re-certing.

Different people learn differently, so if a week in Vegas with plenty of distractions amidst trying to learn all of the board exam from 8am-5pm for four days seems doable, go for it. But for ~$2000, I felt my money was better used on a variety of resources that I could take my time with.

The educators are top notch though and their teaching style is generally well liked by all.

Yes. I'm taking it this August in Vegas for my recert. You have the link to the 2015 course, but same same... I don't want to study on my own. I'd rather do the peer questions and then sit through some lectures. BTW the TEST is $1850, but the review course is only $1000.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not do Hippo EM? It's easier to pay attention to.

Reactions: 1 user
My $2000 estimate was course fee ($1000) plus airfare and four nights in Vegas.

Recert is $1850? Ugh.

Why not do Hippo EM? It's easier to pay attention to.

I started off enjoying HippoEM, but they waste so much time talking about unrelated crap or making (not very funny) jokes. I felt like it was not an efficient use of my time. It seemed like only about 50% of the lecture time was dedicated to the relevant information. Yeah, it's nice if a lecturer isn't completely dead pan, but they have crossed the line from breaking up the monotony to wasting time. If I am reviewing for an exam, I just want someone to give me the information I need to know.

Reactions: 1 user
I started off enjoying HippoEM, but they waste so much time talking about unrelated crap or making (not very funny) jokes. I felt like it was not an efficient use of my time. It seemed like only about 50% of the lecture time was dedicated to the relevant information. Yeah, it's nice if a lecturer isn't completely dead pan, but they have crossed the line from breaking up the monotony to wasting time. If I am reviewing for an exam, I just want someone to give me the information I need to know.

Yeah, I didn't end up using Hippo. I've been using Rosh, and I might do Peer VIII if I get time, although I doubt I will. I am impressed by Rosh and find it very high yield and well structured.