EM Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quimby2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now I realize the hot topic these days is The Match; however, I'm going to through this one out there anyway:

Which of these books is worth owning as a 4th year pre-EM?
1) EM recall (already own EM secerts, a book a highly recommend)
2) EM orthopedics, The Extremities (have a 4th year EM elective coming up in this)

Did I miss any good ones? (No, I don't mean Rosen, Tint, etc. -we'll stick to baby-Tint. until residency.)

Good luck on the match all!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Quimby2
Now I realize the hot topic these days is The Match; however, I'm going to through this one out there anyway:

Which of these books is worth owning as a 4th year pre-EM?
1) EM recall (already own EM secerts, a book a highly recommend)
2) EM orthopedics, The Extremities (have a 4th year EM elective coming up in this)

Did I miss any good ones? (No, I don't mean Rosen, Tint, etc. -we'll stick to baby-Tint. until residency.)

Good luck on the match all!

Are you a third year going into fourth year? Or are you about to start residency in June?

The one book that helped me out SO much on my elective EM auditions was the Top 30 Problems in EM. It is perfect!

Q, DO

Top 30 had been recc over and over and is SUPPOSED to come with you EMRA membership, last year they ran out and I never got mine:(

I used EM Secrets, checked out a baby tint. (did not see the purpose in paying the $$ when I may be getting one in residency) and looked up anything else on the net.

I had done a month of Trauma first so had a Trauma secrets that I used on occasion.

Good luck!

F4B

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by frog4brooke
Top 30 had been recc over and over and is SUPPOSED to come with you EMRA membership, last year they ran out and I never got mine:(

Same here. They said they would be shipping them out at a later date. Does anyone have any idea when that date will be?

I liked top 30, but wanted something a bit more substantial.

Look at "Signs and Symptoms in EM." It's not as big as the baby tintinalli, and has a lot of images. Sections are brief, which I like. I also liked 5 minute EM for my handheld. Same thing, brief.

I spoke to an EMRA representative the other day, and she told me that the new "Top 30" will be shipped out at the end of the month. As far as the baby Tint, you can always hit up a drug rep for a copy. They seem to have endless supplies.

NMS Emergency Medicine handbook is a must have while in the ED. It covers everything, and each section can be skimmed in about 2 min. Mind you, this is not a study guide but rather a quick reference that gives you key Hx, PE, labs, Tx and DDx for a huge number of presentations. Good luck.