EM conference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOaz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How imperative or helpful is it to attend national conference with PD meet and greet. I am an intern applying to EM and trying to justify the need to attend to PD. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming based on your name that you're a DO. If you are planning to apply to DO residencies it can have some serious pull. A lot of the DO world is about who you know and who knows you, not who has the top scores. While I wouldn't say it's a requirement by any means to go to conferences, it can definitely help your chances. In my opinion it's not nearly as important as doing auditions at DO programs.

Thanks for the reply, what about allopathic? As for DO programs I know it's about knowing you, I wish I had some away time to use for auditions so osteopathically I guess it makes sense to try and attend that

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't really comment on going to the conferences on the MD side because I didn't go to any. I ended up doing one audition rotation at an MD program and ended up matching there. I do think knowing you has some pull on the MD side but it's not as important. I know a bunch of DOs who matched EM at MD programs who did not rotate at the program they matched.

Some of the "better" do programs rank strictly based on personalities and these conferences can be a way in. Some residents have gone as far as to say (n=3) that those conferences made the difference in getting in and not getting in (usually those students had sub-par comlex scores, ie sub 500).

Personally I wanted to goto ACOEP this year but the $600 cost just to do a meet & greet seemed excessive (given that it would be one months rent and more loans). I'd say if you have decent scores you are fine, if you are on the fritz it may be beneficial.

On the MD side of things, its less (but not completely absolute) political and buddy-buddy. The DO world is smaller and thus they play this game.

Probably not all that helpful.
If you can do an elective at a program, probably much more helpful.
This may or may not be possible given your intern schedule.

Thank you for your responses, I really appreciate it. I have a 2 weeks allowable for an away but just waiting on final approval of educational license.

I've been on the other side of the table at several those conferences and can't remember a single person I spoke to from any of them. I'm not sure how much good they do for you in the eyes of the program director, although these meet and greets can certainly help you in evaluating the personality of a particular program. You may also become interested in some programs that you may have initially not considered.

I've been on the other side of the table at several those conferences and can't remember a single person I spoke to from any of them. I'm not sure how much good they do for you in the eyes of the program director, although these meet and greets can certainly help you in evaluating the personality of a particular program. You may also become interested in some programs that you may have initially not considered.

This.

I severely doubt going to a conference will help at all. None of the attending will remember anyone from it. Just going is a waste of time unless the conference itself interests you.

Being a *leader* at a conference is different. If you're holding a position of any actual merit, then you might benefit greatly. I'll use the AMA as an example. Around 800 students will attend the meeting twice a year. But only four people per year lead the whole student section, and only 30 per year have any say in the full AMA. Thirty students is a lot more special than 800.

After meeting a few PDs, you email them after saying that you met them at the conference and would like to attend their program. It might be more useful at average programs, since top-tier programs have no shortage of competitive applicants.

Definitely do not tell more than one program director that you want to attend his program.

Why is that? PDs talk to other PDs about emails they are getting?